none
Session disconnected...no Remote Desktop Licenses Servers available to provide a license...

Question

• is the error I get. Our setup is like this...

Server 1 - Server 2008 R2 is a SQL server, need developers to RDC into this server

Server 2 - Separate 2008R2 with 150 user CAL's configured and have been working for month's.

Server 1 is tied into the pool of CAL's on Server 2. When I go into Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration on Server 1 and go to Licensing Diag, it pulls up Server 2, the licensing server and tells me that 150 CAL's are configure, no problems were found etc. So Server 1 properly identifies the licensing server...how can there be no Licensing Servers available when I try to RDC into it?

BTW, this setup has been working for close to a year all of a sudden stopped...
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On Server1, please open RD Session Host Configuration (tsconfig.msc), and make sure that the Licensing mode is set to Per User, since that is the type of RDS CAL you have on your RD Licensing server.  Also double-click Remote Desktop license servers and check that Server2 is specified.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:17 PM
  • On Server1 licensing mode = per user, licensing server, server 2 shows in the list.

Clicking on License Diagnosis comes up with 150 available Per-User cals...I specifically looked for the type as I have per-user cals so this is correct.

This makes no sense...
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

- Please logon to Server2, open services.msc, and make sure the RD Licensing service is currently Started.  If desired you may Restart the RD Licensing service, it should only take a few seconds.

- Please verify that firewall settings on both servers allow the rd licensing traffic (RPC)

- Please check the error logs on Server1 as well as Server2 for warnings/errors related to this issue, and post the detailed description here.  Keep in mind there are specific error logs relating to RDS (TermService), RD Licensing, etc., located in event viewer under Applicaitons and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\...

- On the workstation PC, as a test, please right-click the Remote Desktop Connection icon and choose Run as Administrator if this is Vista or later OS version, then try to connect to Server1.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:34 PM
  • - On Server2, Licensing Service was running but I restarted it anyway.

- Firewall is disabled on Server 2, on Server 1 it should be disabled but when I try to get in and look at the Firewall I get an error that the snapin cant be loaded.

- I tried running the RDC as Admin on my workstation, no different

- I'm still going through logs on both machines but nothing is jumping out at me, I'll keep looking.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:53 PM
  • BTW, I have other servers as well as clients in the domain that utilize Server 2 (Licensing Server) and they all appear to be function fine, they are tapping into the CAL's available to them so I'm fairly certain that Server 2 is working as expected.

There is really one machine, the SQL server that I can't get into.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

When logged on to Server1, are you able to ping Server2 using the exact name specified for it in RD Sesson Host Configuration?

-TP

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Looking at Event Logs on Server 1...I have a few Event ID 1130 indicating that no Licensing server is configured...but I have a licensing server configured per the steps above. We verified that...
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi,

When logged on to Server1, are you able to ping Server2 using the exact name specified for it in RD Sesson Host Configuration?

-TP

Verified that I can ping from Server 1 to 2 using the exact name specified in Host configuration.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Is Server1 2008 R2 SP1?  Do you have Hyper-V Role installed on Server1?

Please open Server Manager on Server1 and check which RDS Role Services are installed, and reply back with the complete list.  Based on what you have written so far I would expect RD Session Host Role Service (of course), but are any of the other RDS Role Services installed?

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

Is Server1 2008 R2 SP1?  Do you have Hyper-V Role installed on Server1?

Please open Server Manager on Server1 and check which RDS Role Services are installed, and reply back with the complete list.  Based on what you have written so far I would expect RD Session Host Role Service (of course), but are any of the other RDS Role Services installed?

Thanks.

-TP

Server1 is 2008R2SP1...Hyper-V is NOT installed on this machine.

RDS Roles...Remote App Mananger, Remote Desktop Services and Remote Session Host Config. Those three are installed, to be honest, I'm not sure why I need anything more than RSHC.

This box doesn't host any remote apps, it's a SQL server that developers need to RDC into. Server 2 is the one that serves up RemoteApps.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Another bit of information that might perhaps set off some alarm bells...I'm not sure what to make of it. Several services that I checked like Firewall and Windows Time are off, when I try to start them I get an Access is denied error...????? *puzzled*

Since this is a production server, I can't just re-boot it but I have a scheduled power cycle at 5:10pm Eastern, hopefully that will correct some issues.

When all else fails...reboot...right? ;)

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:40 PM
  • If all I need is for more than two people to RDC into this server, do I need all the other stuff like Remote App Manager or Remote Desktop Services?
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:15 PM