Server 2008 R2 and SuperFetch

Question

• Windows Server 2008 supported turning SuperFetch on, but it appears to be gone in R2 Release Candidate.  The service is gone.  What happened to it, is its function built into the OS, superceded by another technology, or....?

We use Server 2008 for certain workstation applications, and SuperFetch was an aid to performance.  I am concerned about how they will run under R2.

Thanks..
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does anyone know anything about SuperFetch in R2? Thanks!
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Hello Don,

See the below registry settings to enable Superfetch

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
    "EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000003
    "EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000001

Thanks

http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Thanks Syed, one question though - the service is not in the list of services shown in services.msc, previously you set these two registry entries and enabled the service.  That's why I thought it was gone. Is this capability no longer a service, do the registry settings actually do anything?

Thanks,

Don
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Thanks i will look forward and let you know if it happens the same with me as well

Sunday, June 07, 2009 2:23 PM
  • hi don,

inline to syed's comment, superfetch is new method of allocating and managing memory ,please find more data

SuperFetch is disabled on Server 2008

SuperFetch
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/superfetch.aspx

Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.03.vistakernel.aspx

Why Does Vista Use All My Memory?
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

By default, SuperFetch service is disabled. For general users, it’s not suggested to disable SuperFetch. However, sometime disabling SuperFetch  may improve performance of whole system. You can try to disable SuperFetch  to test. If there is significant improve of performance, you can leave it disabled.

You can disable the SuperFetch services in services.msc or edit Registry to configure SuperFetch.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/change-superfetch-to-only-cache-system-boot-files-in-vista/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

hope this is informative

sainath windows driver development.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Hi Sainath,

Thanks for the reply - yes I know what SuperFetch is, it is disabled in Server 2008 but easily started as a service (with the proper registry settings). I was asking what happened to the service in R2, has it been removed, if so what is the rationale, has it been built into the OS, etc. etc.

thanks
    Monday, June 08, 2009 10:59 PM
  • hi don,

i have checked in couple of windows 2008 R2 Rc 64 bit version and superfetch service is not there.

The only difference between the OS i feel is 64 bit , but microsoft has to provide the feature to use RAM efficiently.

I searched but didnt find any relevant info on why there is no superfetch service on windwos 2008 64 bit .

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:08 AM
  • I upgraded one of my 64 bit workstations to R2, and yes it is not there. This workstation was 64 bit on Server 2008.  I tried adding the two Prefetch parameters to the registry, restarted, and it didn't magically appear (which I was pretty sure it would not). I also checked for the fetch folder where the database gets updated, and there is no folder.

I do notice int he perf mon when I open a new program and close it, the Cache memory size goes up and stays up. So maybe they are caching in a different way now, ie it has been built into the OS.

It would be nice if Microsoft told us how this works now.  It's clearly different and could be an important consideration to some customers.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:23 AM
  • hi don,

i was searching through the forums / journals, but didnt find any infor as to why windows 2008 R2 RC doesnt has superfetch service.

but i think its still in RC , the complete version might come with the service.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:14 AM
  • You both of them are right I havent found anything as yet in windows 2008 r2 and no documentation over technet is  available. I guess we should wait for the RTM as said by sainath.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Don Awalt Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:17 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:34 AM
  • I just checked in the RTm verison of Windows Sevrer 2008 R2, Superfetch service is not there. I wonder how this works now, I am sure they are still caching programs to speed up performance? Is it built into the kernel?
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I'm just upgraded to R2 and Superfetch disappeared.  Also, applications are taking a little longer to load up.  Laptop seems not as smooth as it used be.  Startups also take a bit longer now.  Might end up going to Windows 7.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Your slowness may be for a number of reasons, the least of which is fragmentation.  I happen to think that caching is still going on, as I have tried to watch the memory consumption on the machine and it seems to point to caching.  However, without having a test environment where I can turn something on or off I am not sure. I wish someone could explain how this works now in R2.  Windows Server has needs to scaling and performance way beyond our needs so I trust it's a decent solution - but I would like to understand it.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Any replies to what the story is with Superfetch and Server 2008 R2????

Thanks!
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:27 PM
  • RTM is out - we should be able to find out something about how this works?  A missing service like Superfetch is a big deal especially when it focuses on memory management and pre-loading of apps, etc.  I for one would like to know what's new in this area of R2 before major commitments are made to using the product, I am sure others would like to know also.  Thanks
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Without superfetch the drive works less during/neat the end of the bootup process but when I try and load Outlook, Excel, SQL Management Studio, IE, etc they take longer the first time...

With superfetch the drive works harder at the beginnning and it can take a while to load an app that you normally dont use but the usual apps that I use start up faster, especially if I walk away from my computer while it's booting up and logging in. (I swipe my finger at BIOS startup and that usually logs me into Windows, so I usually walk away anyway.)

My laptop Hard drive is a Seagate Momemtus 7200.4 500GB only half full, defragged using windows defrag than JKDEFRAG.  Drive is very fast and access is fast once you get those first apps loaded.

It seems that it's using the standard windows built in cache, but it only caches when you use the app, not before that.  That is where superfetch seems to help out.  It seamed like Superfetch would cache apps before I even loaded them.  Was nice, but can live without.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I just installed the RTM bits and I don't see the superfetch service dll (sysmain.dll) in my system32 folder. It also doesn't show up in the SCM even after setting the registry keys above.
    Hoop
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Hello!

There is someone who uses succesfully superfetch in Server 2008 R2?

How to turn it on?

Thanks.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:44 PM