SP1 RC installation report

General discussion

• All went without problems but taking some time. Uninstallation of SP1 Beta took 30 minutes, installation of SP1 RC nearly two hours (more than the original Windows 7 install). Process seems to be quite CPU (50-100 % load) and memory intensive (> 1 GB load, continuously). That may be due to outdated equipment but who'll install pre-releases on the best machine he has to dispose?

As the installation takes quite a time, the informations about the steps passed and those in work could be a bit more detailed. A simple progress bar which most of the time doesn't even display any progress, isn't for the fainthearted or the impatient. MSFT, however, seems quite confident in this release, as the little mark on the starting screen shows: "(c) 2011 Microsoft Corporation".

"192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:33 PM

All replies

• Sanmartin wrote:
    > All went without problems but taking some time. Uninstallation of SP1 Beta took
    > 30 minutes, installation of SP1 RC nearly two hours (more than the original
    > Windows 7 install). Process seems to be quite CPU (50-100 % load) and memory
    > intensive (> 1 GB load, continuously). That may be due to outdated equipment but
    > who'll install pre-releases on the best machine he has to dispose?
    >
    > As the installation takes quite a time, the informations about the steps passed
    > and those in work could be a bit more detailed. A simple progress bar which most
    > of the time doesn't even display any progress, isn't for the fainthearted or the
    > impatient. MSFT, however, seems quite confident in this release, as the little
    > mark on the starting screen shows: "*(c) 2011* Microsoft Corporation".
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's
    > Jokes")

That's what they said about 10 MB when the PC XT was released.
    --
    Crash

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
    ~ Samuel Johnson ~

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hi Crash,

wrong idea. Think again.

"192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:47 PM
  • I Installed Mine On Top Of A Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM Clean Install And I Was Very Surprised 2 Find Out That The RC Takes Longer 2 Install Then The Beta. I Used Daemon Tools Lite With The .ISO File 2 Install It.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Hi Sanmartin,

what are your PC spec (CPU, RAM, HDD)?

The removal of Beta and installation of RC was fast in a VM (VMWare Player) on my AMD Phenom II X4 (3GHz) with 3GB assigned to the VM.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Hi André,

testing laptop specs are: Athlon64 3000+ (1.8 GHz), 1.5 GB RAM, 80+250+1000 GB HD. Installed from the standalone installer (x86).

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:12 AM
  • ok, this is a very old system (notebook?). So it can take some time.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:31 AM
  • Installing the SP1 RC on my 64-bit Win7 Pro box. It has an i7-920 @ 4.2ghz, 6GB DDR3, and 4x250GB Enterprise SATA drives in RAID10. During the install I have 3GB of available RAM and CPU usage never spikes above 30%. *EDIT* The install still took almost an hour even on this new hardware. =(
    Friday, October 29, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I thought that the installation was relatively quick - well compared with what I remember about the Vista SP1.

I downloaded the windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe file which took about 30 minutes and installed over Home Premium (RTM).

The installation process took about 35 minutes. I was preparing for it to take much longer as the progress bar seemed to come to a halt for about 10 minutes at the halfway stage.

Hardware:  Dell Inspiron 530 desktop comprising Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 250GB SATA HD

--

John

Saturday, October 30, 2010 11:25 PM
  • my machine: toshiba laptop w7ultimate, Intel centrino w/4gigs ram and 2 80 gig ssd;s

I found that it went pretty fast, believe it was under 20 minutes.  The only update I needed was with VPC and

my XP's needed to have the integration tools updated.

All in all, I am pleased as everything seems to work smoothly.

BUT, I do have a complete acronis image backup that I know I can count on.  <GGG>

I am a bit confused about the RC1 version problem that indicates that I will have to remove it when the

RTM comes out?  Yes or No?

thanks

Rich

Learn -> Teach Or it is all wasted.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I am a bit confused about the RC1 version problem that indicates that I will have to remove it when the RTM comes out?  Yes or No?

Yes, you must uninstall SP1 RC before installing SP1 RTM.  And SP1 RC is time-bombed, so you will not want to keep it anyway.
    Robin Walker
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:22 PM