none
VISTA Restore Files - device not ready

Question

• I have a Dell 531 and the primary HD crashed without warning.  Had to install a new HD and re-install the operating system - Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.  My backup data is on an external drive, when I try to use the Backup and Restore center I am not successful.

I select backup from a different computer, it identifies my drive, but once the restore starts, it stops after a minute or so with the following message:

• Restore did not finish successfully.  Error Code:
    • The device is not ready. (0x80070015)

I have tried to run from Safe Mode, but it says restore isn't available.  I have tried to use wbadmin from command line, but wbadmin does not appear to be available on my computer. 

The backup files are in a directory with the following format:

• F:\DELL-DEN\Backup Set 2011-08-20 114218\Backup Files 2012-02-05 230011\Backup files 1.zip\C\Users\Janette_2\Documents

Any help is appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

Monday, February 20, 2012 12:50 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

You mentioned that The second hard disk, is it an external USB hard disk?  whether you are restoring to a different model of computer?

The drive you are restoring to must be equal or greater than the drive the backup copy was made from. Also, if you are restoring to a different model of computer, your best bet would be to try restoring the files, but remove the drive and hook it up via an external drive/adaptor as the restore process replaces the entire drive including the device drivers. Try to delete any existing partitions on the destination drive and retry operation.

Besides, I recommend you try to restore the backup data in safe mode. To start the computer in safe mode, try the following steps.

a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    b. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
    c. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

For your reference, I’m adding a link that talks about “A description of the Safe Mode Boot options”:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

At last, there is a thread for your reference.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/after-clean-install-vista-cant-use-backup-wizard-restore-f-t3438681.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:23 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

You mentioned that The second hard disk, is it an external USB hard disk?  whether you are restoring to a different model of computer?

The drive you are restoring to must be equal or greater than the drive the backup copy was made from. Also, if you are restoring to a different model of computer, your best bet would be to try restoring the files, but remove the drive and hook it up via an external drive/adaptor as the restore process replaces the entire drive including the device drivers. Try to delete any existing partitions on the destination drive and retry operation.

Besides, I recommend you try to restore the backup data in safe mode. To start the computer in safe mode, try the following steps.

a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    b. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
    c. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

For your reference, I’m adding a link that talks about “A description of the Safe Mode Boot options”:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

At last, there is a thread for your reference.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/after-clean-install-vista-cant-use-backup-wizard-restore-f-t3438681.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  I have confirmed that the backup drive is smaller than the new drive and has no partitions. I have also used the advanced backup option to restore to a new computer, even though this is the same computer, but with a new HD and instal of Vista.

The problem I am having is when I boot into SAFE Mode, it is telling me backup and restore is not available.  I don't seem to have the wbadmin utility on my PC either, so trying to run it manually from the command prompt isn't working either.

Thanks.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:09 PM