none
Performance Concerns: Windows Server 2012 (RC) VS Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

General discussion

• My simple basic question is, Which is faster: Windows Server 2012 (RC) VS Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

My personal laptop is Lenovo THINKPAD T500 2055, and its main specifications are as follows:

- Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2)
    - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module 4 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1066MHz DDR31066/PC38500 DDR3 SDRAM SoDIMM Kingston.
    - 2 GB Intel Turbo Memory hard drive cache.
    - 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm.
    - ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB.

Usually I don't install many programs on my laptop. I have used Windows Server 2008 R2, and the performance was pretty disappointing, It makes my laptop pretty sluggish and really really heavy.

I have used Windows 7 Ultimate, and it works so fast and just great. Currently, I am using Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) and the performance is just fantastic and even it feels way faster.

At the moment, I am considering installing Windows Server 2012 (RC), But with my laptop specifications, I am very concerned about the performance, and I am worry that it will be slow as it was when I installed Windows Server 2008 R2.

Any experiences or tips?

I would appreciate your inputs !

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:24 PM

All replies

• You mentioned that Windows 7 on your T500 performed well, but  Windows 2008 did not, although they share a common code base.  Did you notice any missing drivers on the Windows 2008 R2 install?  I'm willing to bet that was part of the problem.  Video driver issues, for instance, can easily be misinterpreted as performance issues, as scrolling and moving the mouse cursor can be sluggish.  Just wanted to point this out, in case you haven't covered these bases. 

If Windows 8 is working well on the T500, my assumption is that Windows Server 2012 RC will also run without problems, but judging from your Windows 7/Server 2008 experience, I can't be sure.

My advice to you is to enable Hyper-V on your Windows 8 install (Go to "Turn Windows features on or off" and check if you can enable Hyper-V), otherwise use Virtual box (https://www.virtualbox.org/), then load Windows 2012 RC as a VM, considering you have 8GB RAM, which should be sufficient to run both, although I would ensure Windows 8 is running minimal apps/services during this time.  Once you have it loaded, see how the performance is.

Other than that - you can just load 2012 RC on that laptop and see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if you will be missing device drivers. 

https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/mpodgorski/profile

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:03 PM
  • I'd guesstimate Win2012 is probably marginally better performance (if you compare apples to apples) but to be honest I can't feel a difference in anything I've done with it and benchmarks aren't really accurate. 

Unless someone has the same hardware setup as you, I doubt that you'll find a definitive answer here. There is only one way to really see what the performance is going to be on that particular HW config. Backup the laptop (ghost, clonezilla, etc) then install Win2012 and do some performance testing.

If you wanted my gut reaction, I'd say it's a waste a time. What benefit will get running Win2k12 over Win8 enterprise? You won't be able to take advantage of most of the new server features and Win8 will have better support for laptops and a more user oriented experience. 

If you really want to explore Win2012, I'd say install it in to a virtual machine and setup a couple of machines (DCs, file server, DNS, DHCP, clustering, etc), that will give you a chance to see what's changed and what's stayed the same. 
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:06 PM
  • uh.. virtual machines installed are inherently better on a laptop than on a server / desktop.. because they're portable.

primary reason I run around with 3 laptops all the time? So I can demo sharepoint with decent performance.  Running sharepoint on one machine is ALWAYS too slow for demos.

aaron_kempf

Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:28 PM