none
Managing server 2012 RDS in a workgroup

Answers

• Hi,

Server 2012 RDS is designed under the basic premise that RDS servers will be joined to a domain, at least one RD Connection Broker will be present, and that RDSH servers will be managed as a collection using Server Manager (and/or powershell).  Same is true for Virtual Desktops (VMs), they are designed to be managed as a collection.

Now, it is not impossible to have a RDSH server that is not joined to a domain and/or not a member of a collection.  The thing to keep in mind is that most of the tools provided to make managing/configuring RDSH servers easier in 2012 will not work in a workgroup configuration.  This includes most (if not all) of the new powershell commands and server manager.  Most of the old powershell commands and GUI programs that would have allowed you to configure/manage a standalone RDSH server have been removed.

Exception to the above is for RD Licensing and RD Gateway.  The GUI and powershell tools for those are still present in 2012.

To configure and manage a standalone RDSH server you may use a combination of local group policy (gpedit.msc), WMI commands, registry edits, and config file edits, as needed.  For RD Licensing and RD Gateway you may use the graphical tools as in previous versions, or the old powershell commands (import-module RemoteDesktopServices).

For querying logged on users, logging off sessions, etc., you may use task manager or the query/logoff commands.

If your intention is to have a basic standalone RDSH server that allows users to log on and receive a full desktop, then it may be reasonable to configure using the methods I mention above.  If your intention is to publish RemoteApps and otherwise attempt to use 2012 RDS to its fullest potential then I would not recommend you try to do it standalone.

If there is a specific setting on your RDSH server that you are unsure how to configure using GP, WMI, etc., please ask the question on this forum and someone will assist you.

My recommendation to you would be to set up your environment the preferred way as outlined in my first paragraph.  You may still do this on a single server, but you will need to set up multiple server instances running under Hyper-V.  For example, a single license of Server 2012 Standard will allow you to have Server 2012 installed on the physical machine with Hyper-V, and two VMs running Server 2012.  In one VM you could have a domain controller, and in the other VM you could have RDS Role Services like RDCB, RDSH, RDWeb, RDG.

Please do not install RDCB on the same VM as a DC.  This will not work.  If you would like to install RD Licensing on your DC that is okay.

Having a standalone Server 2012 RDSH will require more work and the number of people that will understand how to assist you if you have problems is relatively small.  If your needs are basic then the extra work/limitations may not be a big deal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

Now the RDS environment using in Workgroup mode are less and less, the RDS environment in domain mode are more and more popular. We strongly recommand users using RDP in a domain environment.

These scenarios(such as using non admin GP to lockdown and change some printer and keepalive setting, RemoteApp, etc) you described above could also be deployed in a domain enviornment.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to use Windows Server 2012 Server Manager to manage Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS servers, we cannot achieve that, because both mechanisms are different, RDP Windows Server 2012 Server Manager cannot used to manage.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:57 AM
  • I don't understand what you mean by the statement "these command need still FQDN".

Can you give an example of the Windows PowerShell command you are trying to run and what the error message is?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Server 2012 RDS is designed under the basic premise that RDS servers will be joined to a domain, at least one RD Connection Broker will be present, and that RDSH servers will be managed as a collection using Server Manager (and/or powershell).  Same is true for Virtual Desktops (VMs), they are designed to be managed as a collection.

Now, it is not impossible to have a RDSH server that is not joined to a domain and/or not a member of a collection.  The thing to keep in mind is that most of the tools provided to make managing/configuring RDSH servers easier in 2012 will not work in a workgroup configuration.  This includes most (if not all) of the new powershell commands and server manager.  Most of the old powershell commands and GUI programs that would have allowed you to configure/manage a standalone RDSH server have been removed.

Exception to the above is for RD Licensing and RD Gateway.  The GUI and powershell tools for those are still present in 2012.

To configure and manage a standalone RDSH server you may use a combination of local group policy (gpedit.msc), WMI commands, registry edits, and config file edits, as needed.  For RD Licensing and RD Gateway you may use the graphical tools as in previous versions, or the old powershell commands (import-module RemoteDesktopServices).

For querying logged on users, logging off sessions, etc., you may use task manager or the query/logoff commands.

If your intention is to have a basic standalone RDSH server that allows users to log on and receive a full desktop, then it may be reasonable to configure using the methods I mention above.  If your intention is to publish RemoteApps and otherwise attempt to use 2012 RDS to its fullest potential then I would not recommend you try to do it standalone.

If there is a specific setting on your RDSH server that you are unsure how to configure using GP, WMI, etc., please ask the question on this forum and someone will assist you.

My recommendation to you would be to set up your environment the preferred way as outlined in my first paragraph.  You may still do this on a single server, but you will need to set up multiple server instances running under Hyper-V.  For example, a single license of Server 2012 Standard will allow you to have Server 2012 installed on the physical machine with Hyper-V, and two VMs running Server 2012.  In one VM you could have a domain controller, and in the other VM you could have RDS Role Services like RDCB, RDSH, RDWeb, RDG.

Please do not install RDCB on the same VM as a DC.  This will not work.  If you would like to install RD Licensing on your DC that is okay.

Having a standalone Server 2012 RDSH will require more work and the number of people that will understand how to assist you if you have problems is relatively small.  If your needs are basic then the extra work/limitations may not be a big deal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

Now the RDS environment using in Workgroup mode are less and less, the RDS environment in domain mode are more and more popular. We strongly recommand users using RDP in a domain environment.

These scenarios(such as using non admin GP to lockdown and change some printer and keepalive setting, RemoteApp, etc) you described above could also be deployed in a domain enviornment.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hi, I understand less and less people are doing this but I am facing the same situation. We have a 2003 server and are upgrading to 2012 server. It is a single server environment and we need to use terminal services in a workgroup. It would be great if you could explain the steps required to make this work for us. I am able to connect via remote desktop but have not bee able to get the licensing to work correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:39 AM
  • I'm setting up a stand alone 2012 server. I need to use rdp in a workgroup environment. I need users to be able to login to a desktop just like in 2003 or 2008 server. We have less than 10 users and I have purchased the server, windows server 2012, 10 server cals, and 10 rdp cals.  I just need to be able to get the licensing to work so that my users can login and do their work.  i've made changes in gpedit.msc but the licenses aren't being used when a user tries to use rdp and it takes a while for them to connect to the server. If you could give me ideas about how to set this up I would appreciate it. If  I could set it up with out a dc server setup that would be great and much easier for me to manage. I'm not even sure if I made the correct changes in gpedit. the first time I installed 2012 server rdp installed incorrectly and I had to rebuild the server. I would like to avoid this if possible. Thanks.
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 2:11 PM
  • I have the same problem.
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Hi

I wonder how Can I do this. Can anybody put here url to some walkthrough how I can do this?

To configure and manage a standalone RDSH server you may use a combination of local group policy (gpedit.msc), WMI commands, registry edits, and config file edits, as needed.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 11:42 AM
  • This might be interesting to you:

Guidelines for installing the Remote Desktop Session Host role service on a computer running Windows Server 2012 without the Remote Desktop Connection Broker role service

"...This article provides the guidelines to install and configure the Remote Desktop Session Host  role service on a computer running Windows Server 2012 without the Remote Desktop Connection Broker role service installed.
    This configuration should only be used when it is the only option as the recommended configuration includes the Remote Desktop Connection Broker to provide access to the complete functionality with Remote Desktop Services. If a Domain Controller is available on a separate server, it is recommended to use the Standard Remote Desktop Services deployment wizard. This configuration is appropriate when there is only one server on the network. This server can be part of a workgroup or may be configured as a Domain Controller..."

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    The Microsoft Platform
    Twitter
    Linked-in
    Wortell company website

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hello Frank

Instruction in are not working for me. Powershell instructions returns Invalid Operations Exception for ChangeMode and SetSpecifiedLicenseServerList method. 

At last I remove broker role and have TermServLicensing and TermService services installed. So is that enough to run Terminal Services which aquire license from itself without AD?

Dose somebody tested KB2833839 ?

Best Regards

Przemysław Staniszewski

Friday, April 19, 2013 10:48 AM