none
Windows 2012 Essentials upgrade to Windows 2012 Server Standard/Data/Enterprise ...

Question

• I am intersted in trying to upgrade Windows 2012 Essentials to one of the more functional versions of Windows Server 2012.   I have not been able to find any how-to's or other instructions for accomplishing this and what the problems and benefits would be associated with this upgrade.  Any pointers to this info will be helpful.

Thanks

John

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:46 PM

All replies

• The windows server 2012 Essentials FAQ (http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/0/8/80882eee-96e1-486f-889d-6c0acfcc1e42/windows_server_2012_essentials_faq.pdf, and I apologize for the link but I'm on a tablet today) will tell you how to upgrade to Standard. The only in place upgrade you can do is to standard, and when you do so you will lose media handling functionality, but not other Essentials functionality.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:21 PM
  • thanks, I was expecting something like that.

thanks again

John

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Here's a direct answer to your question. I just tested it for you, it works just as simple as this! :)

Described in full here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj247582.aspx

The command you need to enter as Admin:
    dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:<Product Key>

DISM is a great tool. I love it! :)

Certified: MCP 2.0 & MCTS

Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Hi:

This upgrade method work with Standard and  datacenter version ¿?

I try with Server 2012 Standard Edition and work OK, is perfect!!

but work with Server 2012 Datacenter Edition if i use a valid licence key ¿?

Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hi:

This upgrade method work with Standard and  datacenter version ¿?

I try with Server 2012 Standard Edition and work OK, is perfect!!

but work with Server 2012 Datacenter Edition if i use a valid licence key ¿?

Nobody ¿?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:48 PM
  • No reason to suspect it wont.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:45 PM
  • No reason to suspect it wont.

I disagree.

Every place Microsoft talks about an "in place" upgrade from Windows Server 2012 Essentials, they talk about an upgrade to Standard. It would be nice to think that other versions are also available, but I would certainly not expect it to work, and if it does, you could easily lose all Essentials functionality (which has built in limits on numbers of clients and users).

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has actually tried it, though. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Trying it now...

OK, so it cannot be done to DataCenter in one step.

DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions - shows only Server Standard as a valid target.

Im just going to Standard, then will see if we can transition out to DataCenter.

Standard to DC is a no go, but i think that is because it is a Domain Controller.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:30 AM