none
Certificate error 0x80094001

Question

• Hey guys and girls,

I am having an issue, I have a 2008R2 domain controller, and I have installed certificate services, I cannot submit a request to my CA from my server for certificates because certificate types are unavailable!?!? I have done the same in a virtual server and it works fine! but I must have done something differently?... Would be great if some of you guys could shed some light on this issue haha.

Thanks again, Lewis

Lewis.j.Routledge

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Lewis,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you have an Enterprise CA from which you are trying to request a certificate.

Make sure you follow the below steps for creating the custom request:

1. Start the Certificates MMC snap-in and expand the Personal – Certificates container in the left pane.

2.  Right click the Certificates container and chose Create custom request from the context menu.

3. Click Next to accepty the welcome page.

4. If you have Enterprise CA connectivity in your Active Directory forest, you can chose from a list of available certificate templates and create the request based on a specific certificate template. If you want to be independent of any certificate template, select (No template) CNG key if the application can handle CNG keys. Else select the (No Template) Legacy Key instead.

5. Clcik Next. To customize your certificate request click the Details arrow in the Certificate Enrollment page.

6. Click Properties button. Goto Subject tab.

7. In the Subject Name area under Type click "Common Name" and under Value enter the subject name value.

8. After defining the above click OK, save the request in a file and click Finish.

9. Submit this request to the enterprise CA and let me know the error message you are getting.

Make sure you have done steps 5,6 and 7.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:33 AM

All replies

• What is the type of CA you have installed? Is it a standalone CA or an enterprise CA?

However the error code you have given, 0x80094001 does not mean that the certificate template is not available.

The error means:

"The request subject name is invalid or too long"

Try to request the certificate with the subject name included in the request.

Let me know if it works.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Hi Gargi,

It is a enterprise CA and i made a request with the name of request2 and it now says there was an error processing or publishing the request??? and it is still the 0x80094001 error.

Thanks, Lewis

Lewis.j.Routledge

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:33 PM
  • by the way just to make a request i have to make a custom request.

Lewis.j.Routledge

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Hi Lewis,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you have an Enterprise CA from which you are trying to request a certificate.

Make sure you follow the below steps for creating the custom request:

1. Start the Certificates MMC snap-in and expand the Personal – Certificates container in the left pane.

2.  Right click the Certificates container and chose Create custom request from the context menu.

3. Click Next to accepty the welcome page.

4. If you have Enterprise CA connectivity in your Active Directory forest, you can chose from a list of available certificate templates and create the request based on a specific certificate template. If you want to be independent of any certificate template, select (No template) CNG key if the application can handle CNG keys. Else select the (No Template) Legacy Key instead.

5. Clcik Next. To customize your certificate request click the Details arrow in the Certificate Enrollment page.

6. Click Properties button. Goto Subject tab.

7. In the Subject Name area under Type click "Common Name" and under Value enter the subject name value.

8. After defining the above click OK, save the request in a file and click Finish.

9. Submit this request to the enterprise CA and let me know the error message you are getting.

Make sure you have done steps 5,6 and 7.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:33 AM