none
KB2930275 dodgy ?

Question

• Right, it's patch Tuesday again, more and more it is getting annoying.

KB2930275 is a problem this time, after installing this update and the subsequent reboot, the machines is stuck at shutting down the Windows installer module service (or words to that effect). The only way to get the machine to actually reboot is to kill the listed process run by trusted installer (via a remote powershell session, which at least still works at this stage).

I waited 20 minutes for this service to stop, after this time I got fed up and stopped the process to get the machine to boot.

After the reboot (no surprise) the same update is offered again, with the exact same result, it doesn't get past the shutting down installer service.

Or am I supposed to wait more than 20 minutes ? After all this is a server for crying out loud. When will Microsoft change their patching scheme, I cannot remember the last patch Tuesday when servers didn't require a reboot, this is getting silly.

By the way I am getting error 0x80071a2d reported regarding this update in event log after the reboot.

OK, I got this update to install by downloading it manually via MS. Just to be sure I also de-installed mcafee VSE 8.8 patch 4 which was released a few weeks ago, just in case it conflicted with this update in any way.

• Edited by sjaak327 Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:49 AM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:15 AM

All replies

• Support for security updates should be free of charge.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/security/bb980617.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:59 AM
  • Email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and I'll get a support case set up for you.

Unfortunately TechNet subscriptions aren't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Hi sjaak327,

Based on your description, I understand that you have downloaded the update manually and installed it successfully. Just additional. Regarding to the error 0x80071a2d, if this error was occurred again. You may perform following operations and check if can help you.

1. Run chkdsk command to check disk. And sfc /scannow command to scan all protected system files.
    2. Please temporarily disable firewall and security programs, then monitor the result.
    3. For Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2, please use the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. Then, install the Windows update or service pack again. For more details, please refer to this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    4. Please reset Windows Update components, then check if this issue still exists.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Given that you now move to having to use browser forensics, powershell scripts and potentially lack of logging, and now working with vendor support teams and not having physical or remote access of a server, actually moving to the cloud doesn't make isolating problems easier.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:03 PM
  • HyperV is not the cloud though and it too can have patching issues.  If sjaak327 is still having issues, holler. 

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:24 PM