none
How to diplay Windows Server 2012 F8 Menu?

Question

• Hello,

I have Windows Server 2012 DataCenter with Active Directory installed. Now whenever I want to access the server, it automatically entered recovery mode and there is nothing I can do with that. I want to access the old F8 Menu like in Window Server 2008 R2 to boot using any of these:

Safe Mode

Directory services restore mode

Last Good Known Configuration

But I cannot, Can anyone help me...Thanks

Haitham Al-Haj

Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm assuming you can't boot into Server 2012 to select options to reboot into safe mode, etc?  If thats true then there is two options.

1. Is to hold shift and press F8 repeatedly.  I've heard this work and I've heard this doesn't work so your mileage may vary.

2. Boot to the Server 2012 disc and you can select Troubleshoot and then Command Prompt.  You type in the commands below and when you restart the server and get to the boot screen you won't see a "press F8 for Advanced options" but press F8 anyway and you will be brought to the advanced menu.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu Yes
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 15

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Thank you Chris DeCarlo for your reply, but nothing works. I still could not access the F8 Menu..! :(

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:36 PM
  • You might want to read this article for more information........basically your either missing a step or your OS is completely corrupted.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Thank you for this, it saved me hours that I would waste to reinstall my 2012 VM with SQL server.

F8 and load last good configuration worked like a charm.
    Sunday, February 09, 2014 2:39 AM