none
NAP Licensing in Windows 2003 R2 Domain

Question

• I have read tons of whitepapers about NAP in Windows 2008 but I could not find the information that I am looking for.

The only thing about licensing that I could find was : Included in the server product, no additional license required

What are the licensing requirements when there is a Windows 2003 R2 domain with only one Windows 2008 server serving as NPS server

Do you need to upgrade the CALs to Windows 2008 if this server is only NPS and no other role?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Manlio provided an answer to the duplicate of this question. I've included that answer below:

A CAL is required for any usage of Windows Server 2008. NAP or NPS does not require any  license in  addition to the Windows Server 2008 Server and CAL licenses.

In your specific example, you need new Windows Server 2008CALs forall  users/devices that directly or indirectly access the network where the NPS is placed.

Thanks

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:09 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

We are looking into this for you. I apologize for the delay. FYI the Licensing FAQ is found here.

-Greg
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:22 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Manlio provided an answer to the duplicate of this question. I've included that answer below:

A CAL is required for any usage of Windows Server 2008. NAP or NPS does not require any  license in  addition to the Windows Server 2008 Server and CAL licenses.

In your specific example, you need new Windows Server 2008CALs forall  users/devices that directly or indirectly access the network where the NPS is placed.

Thanks

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:09 AM
    Owner