none
wbadmin start backup -templateId:{...

Question

• Hi,
    when I schedule a full backup on windows 2008 I find in the task scheduler following Action:

... wbadmin.exe start backup -templateId:{...GUID...} -quiet

I wonder what the option -templateId means. I tried on another machine and got a different GUID.
    I wolud like to start the backup with a batch command and wanted to know if I have to use the -templateId option or not.

Thanks Franco
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Franco,

the -templateId option is an internal option avaliable only for a scheduled backup configuration done from backup clients (wbadmin.exe, wbadmin.msc). If you want to have an adhoc backup command for batch scripts, use the commands avaliable from "wbadmin.exe /?"

More information on the usage of wbadmin for batch scripts is avaliable on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx

Thanks, Abhinav Mathur [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Franco,

the -templateId option is an internal option avaliable only for a scheduled backup configuration done from backup clients (wbadmin.exe, wbadmin.msc). If you want to have an adhoc backup command for batch scripts, use the commands avaliable from "wbadmin.exe /?"

More information on the usage of wbadmin for batch scripts is avaliable on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx

Thanks, Abhinav Mathur [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

i have another more specific question for the -templateId option: how to find out which syntax is stored behind the used templateId or the {...GUID...}
    i would like to modificate it - ya, i know i can use my own command in batch scripts or however but i won't loose the entries from the scheduled backup at the WSB Console

sounds still useless - i know :) but i will explain detailed what's my goal:

a scheduled backup creates a target subfolder which is named according to the date and time the backup was made - in simple words: i want to get rid of this to get constant access to the .vhd file generated by the backup.

Could someone please give me advice how to reach this goal, i can image there will be a more easier way too

Thanks, Chris

Saturday, November 06, 2010 10:08 AM
  • The same question: how to find out which syntax is stored behind the used templateId?
    ----- Lukas -----
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:10 AM
  • I want to know too. I need to run exact the same template on another server.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:43 PM
  • I want to know too! - BR Mathis

The initial question was "Waht are behind the template id ? and how to modify or copy it?

Please someone from MS may anser.

BR

Mathis Marth

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:30 PM
  • I actually have the same question, where is the template stored? Can it be edited?
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:11 PM