none
how can check ownership of network share folder through any tool even I don't have rights to check the permission in security tab of folder.

Question

• how can check ownership of network share folder through any tool even I don't have rights to check the permission in security tab of folder.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 5:28 PM

Answers

• You should have to go to Secury Tab, Advanced, Owner, change owner to your user, then OK and OK, and open again the security tab.

Just to point out, that even if the poster is able to take ownership and change the permissions, it may have an adverse affect on the application that created the folder and/or files, and possibly rendering access useless to the app.

And as Patris first pointed out, if you can't access it, then contact the folder owner or administrator to assist.

Besides, I agree with Meinolf, that this is not necessarily a Directory Service (Active Directory) question, rather more of a general server question, which would be better posted to the General forum.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by Gautam Ji Monday, April 30, 2012 3:59 AM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hello!

What do you think about point 4 in the link below?
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2010/11/12/how-to-handle-ntfs-folder-permissions-security-descriptors-and-acls-in-powershell.aspx

I think you should take ownership of this folder. Confirm and re open the permissions tab.

Juan.

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi........... I am not able to see afer running command at number 4..

However if any tool or command line tool can help me on this?

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Bottam line is below:::::

I have one folder on server tp600 and the folder location is c:\auditreports. Now i want to see this folder security tab for know who are the members are added also to whom ownership is assigned of this folder. But while checking the same after right click and property, I don't have access to view the security tab of this folder.

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:05 PM
  • You should have to go to Secury Tab, Advanced, Owner, change owner to your user, then OK and OK, and open again the security tab.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 10:30 PM
  • how can check ownership of network share folder through any tool even I don't have rights to check the permission in security tab of folder.

Hello,

Please contact with your network administrator. Your administrator decides what you can or can not.

Thanks for your understanding

Regards

Friday, April 27, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hello,

please understand that thuis forum is related to Directory services, for general questions please use http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/threads

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:49 AM
  • If you are not the administartor then it seems that administartor have denied access,you need to contact your administrator for the same.

Best Regards,

Sandesh Dubey.

MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:00 PM

Just to point out, that even if the poster is able to take ownership and change the permissions, it may have an adverse affect on the application that created the folder and/or files, and possibly rendering access useless to the app.

And as Patris first pointed out, if you can't access it, then contact the folder owner or administrator to assist.

Besides, I agree with Meinolf, that this is not necessarily a Directory Service (Active Directory) question, rather more of a general server question, which would be better posted to the General forum.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by Gautam Ji Monday, April 30, 2012 3:59 AM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:11 PM