none
Combinig/Synching same folders on two servers...?

Question

• Hello everyone, well this thread is going to be a hard thread. :) Anyways here I go... I have two server 2008 domain controllers in my environment and these are also file servers as well. We use Peachtree Accounting software and our users mapped its folder to their computers to work on it, as you know Peachtree creates shared folder so every user inputs/updates their query/records. The problem is, the shared peachtree folder is created on Server1, so if the server one fails then every single user will face problem due to unavailability of server1. What I want is to making available this peachtree folder on both server1 & server2, so in case of failure of any server the data will be available to the users. Is there any possibility to copy same folders on both servers and making them available to users as a single mapped drive? And yes, if user input/update the data then the data should be updated on both servers "Synching should be using here as well. Any help regarding this would be highly appreciated. Thanks
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can use two options:

1. DFS-R will replicate data between two folders. Since Peachtree uses file locks until everybody logs off, this is not really a good option. But it can be done. Just make sure that users use the \\server\dfs namespace instead of the \\domain\dfs namespace and set up one-way replication. Replication will only fully take place when all users log off and files are unlocked.

2. The better option is to set up two 2012 servers and use Hyper V Replica.

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    Web Site | Blog

Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Or you could simply disable one folder target (such as folder on server2) so that all users will access server1. When server1 is down, enable server2 as folder target for failover.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use two options:

1. DFS-R will replicate data between two folders. Since Peachtree uses file locks until everybody logs off, this is not really a good option. But it can be done. Just make sure that users use the \\server\dfs namespace instead of the \\domain\dfs namespace and set up one-way replication. Replication will only fully take place when all users log off and files are unlocked.

2. The better option is to set up two 2012 servers and use Hyper V Replica.

Web Site | Blog

Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Hi.  An additional option would be to use a 3rd party application, such as File Replication Pro, to ensure the two servers are in sync.  Then, if Server1 fails, the mapped drive can be reconfigured to use Server2.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

You can take advantage of DFSR here.

Using DFSR console, Create a namespace \\domain\peachtree

Add both your file servers as namespace servers.  You would already have your shared folders created on both the servers. Configure them here. Now you can create a replication group for this folder and add the respective drives where the actual shared folders are stored. You will need to wait for initial replication to complete, dont hurrry up.. it depends on the size of the data. Test the replication by saving some files and you will see files are present on both the servers.

I would say if you can wait for 5 mins downtime ,you can enable only one referral target such as server1 and disable server2 under namespace servers. When users inform you as serve1 is down, you can quickly enble the server 2 under namespace. In this way,you can keep one server data as primary and other one you can use it as a replication data alone. Remember this is not a backup solution. You would need to have backup solution should also in place along with your DFSR servers.

Test this and let us know in case of any further help

Regards, Server Engineer - Server Support

Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

You can take advantage of DFSR here.

I would say if you can wait for 5 mins downtime ,you can enable only one referral target such as server1 and disable server2 under namespace servers. When users inform you as serve1 is down, you can quickly enble the server 2 under namespace.

Hello,

Please allow me to respectfully disagree on this one point. If you disable and re-enable a replicating target, it will have stale data when activated.

I think the better solution is a good ol' backup or use Hyper V replica. If you must use DFSR, it's imperative to do one way replication and to use \\server\DFS namespace instead of \\domain\DFS namespace. The reason is that when using \\domain\DFS namespace, DFS will provide real time redundancy and load balancing based on cost, i.e. the latency to access those files.

The result is that the file on both replicating partnes will be accessed simultaneously by different people and end result will be a morphed database file that has some entries on one and some entries on the other.

Web Site | Blog

Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Or you could simply disable one folder target (such as folder on server2) so that all users will access server1. When server1 is down, enable server2 as folder target for failover.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:23 AM