none
Disable Shutdown Button while using Terminal Services

Question

• When I remote desktop into the server remotely, the shutdown button shut's down the server.  Granted I have the reason for shutdown turned on, so some less skillful admin's have to fill in the reason and click okay before they really shutdown the server... but

Is it possible to replace the shutdown button with a Log Off button for remote sessions or disable it all together?

Seems like it could be a huge problem if I (or someone logged in as Admin) shutdown the server that's 4 hours away.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:34 PM

Answers

• Absolutely, we have had this since 2000 (though we do tend to change the name in each new policy editor) :-).

In 2008 you need to use group policy and set the user config -> admin templates -> start menu and taskbar -> remove and prevent access to the shutdown, restart, sleep and hibernate comands = enabled

You probably want to apply this to a machine OU with loopback policy so it only applies to terminal severs.
    You may also want to filter it to apply only to the remote desktop users group (this way it only applies when you logged in remotely).

if you still need to shutdwon the remote machine when remotely connected then use ctrl-alt-end to bring up the remote SAS and the shutdown button is there in the bottom right hand corner.

Alex
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:00 AM

All replies

• Absolutely, we have had this since 2000 (though we do tend to change the name in each new policy editor) :-).

In 2008 you need to use group policy and set the user config -> admin templates -> start menu and taskbar -> remove and prevent access to the shutdown, restart, sleep and hibernate comands = enabled

You probably want to apply this to a machine OU with loopback policy so it only applies to terminal severs.
    You may also want to filter it to apply only to the remote desktop users group (this way it only applies when you logged in remotely).

if you still need to shutdwon the remote machine when remotely connected then use ctrl-alt-end to bring up the remote SAS and the shutdown button is there in the bottom right hand corner.

Alex
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Can this be done for users who remote into the domain controller? When I look at the computers under the domain, the domain controller isn't listed. Is there a way to add Group Policies to the domain controller for terminal services?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Domain controllers are listed under the domain controller folder in Active Directory.  there is a default domain controller policy that applies to them but I would highly recommend NOT editing this GPO.  Simply create a new GPO for the domain controllers and apply to the folder.

Jeff

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:01 PM
  • is there an option to remove the sas (if i press ctrl+alt+del when i'm using remote desktop  iget shut down option) how to remove the shut down option..

i want to disable mu remote user from all shuting down the system by any means... windows menu als b using ctrl+alt+del

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:45 AM
  • What is the point to disallow remote user shutting down by hiding the shutdown button, when they can use Ctrl-Alt-End to shutdown, or use command line "shutdown -r"?
    Friday, January 17, 2014 4:13 PM