none
cannot create virtual machines

Question

• I have hyper-v server core and a windows 7 box. Both of these computers are on the domain. When I try to create a new virtual machine , either with an installation or without installation, it stays at creating disk, I have let it run for much as 2 hours and it never completes. I have even tried just creating new disks with the same results. I have no virtual machines on the server.

• Edited by sgtarky Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:35 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What did you mean by “When I try to create a new disk”, please elaborate your environment so that we can perform the further research. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:38 AM
  • I edited my first post, I noticed it wasn't worded properly. This post was also suppose to be in the Hyper-v section.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:12 PM
  • I ended up using vhdtool to create the disk, I selected the install media, which is an iso. I set the cd as first boot device , I start the virtual machine and it just says starting...it never installs.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:11 PM
  • pictures might be helpful?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:34 PM
  • lots of help here, thanks guys

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:51 PM
  • i checked the event logs, the hyper-v worker

The virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running. The following actions may help you resolve the problem: 1) Verify that the processor of the physical computer has a supported version of hardware-assisted virtualization. 2) Verify that hardware-assisted virtualization and hardware-assisted data execution protection are enabled in the BIOS of the physical computer. (If you edit the BIOS to enable either setting, you must turn off the power to the physical computer and then turn it back on. Resetting the physical computer is not sufficient.) 3) If you have made changes to the Boot Configuration Data store, review these changes to ensure that the hypervisor is configured to launch automatically.

vt is enabled, its dell gx755. I have installed xen and added vms on this computer at one time. I even updated the bios what else do i need to do?

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

This thread, is it resolved?

Did you have turn on your VT-x functionality in the BIOS?

Actually, you have to activate 2 options in your BIOS for using Virtualization Technology :

1) Hardware-Assisted Virtualization.

2) Extended Memory 64 Technology.

• Proposed as answer by Reserwar Monday, August 22, 2011 2:31 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:31 PM