none
GPO - Remove "Map network drive" and Disconnect network drive"

Question

• In our GPO applied to users we have the policy Remove "Map Network Drive" and "Disconnect Network Drive" enabled.  The users can access shares using Start, Run, \\servername\sharea.  But if we created a share using - net use F: \\servername\sahre1 /persistent:yes the share will be created and user can access until a logoff/logon.  Then all the mappings created using net use disappeared.  I suspect the GPO cleared the mappings but can't find any KB to verify.  Does anyone know or point me to an article?

Thanks.

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:05 PM

Answers

• No, those GP settings are not at fault.   They merely prevent access to the Explorer.exe File > Tool > commands of Map Network Drive and Disconnect Drive.  Here are more details, copied from MSDN. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms812045.aspx

Remove "Map Network Drive" and "Disconnect Network Drive"

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Description

Prevents users from using Windows Explorer or My Network Places to map or disconnect network drives.

If you enable this policy, the system removes the Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive commands from the toolbar and Tools menus in Windows Explorer and My Network Places and from menus that appear when you right-click the Windows Explorer or My Network Places icons. It also removes the Add Network Place option from My Network Places.

This policy does not prevent users from using other methods to connect to network drives, such as by typing the name of a drive in the Run dialog box.

When you users log off and lose their 'persistent' drive.   Does it come back when they log in with the same account that mapped it ?  Or is what is happening ?

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For better analysis could you please give us more information about the issue? How did configure the GPO settings? What's the OS of your DC and clients? When you said "the mappings created by net use disappeared", can you manually access it by UNC path?

Regards,
    Cicely

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:28 AM
  • No, those GP settings are not at fault.   They merely prevent access to the Explorer.exe File > Tool > commands of Map Network Drive and Disconnect Drive.  Here are more details, copied from MSDN. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms812045.aspx

Remove "Map Network Drive" and "Disconnect Network Drive"

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Description

Prevents users from using Windows Explorer or My Network Places to map or disconnect network drives.

If you enable this policy, the system removes the Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive commands from the toolbar and Tools menus in Windows Explorer and My Network Places and from menus that appear when you right-click the Windows Explorer or My Network Places icons. It also removes the Add Network Place option from My Network Places.

This policy does not prevent users from using other methods to connect to network drives, such as by typing the name of a drive in the Run dialog box.

When you users log off and lose their 'persistent' drive.   Does it come back when they log in with the same account that mapped it ?  Or is what is happening ?

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:36 AM