none
KMS Activation

Question

• We are testing with Windows 2008 Server and Windows Vista for KMS activation. I have made an image to deploy to the workstations (with the KMS-KEY) to activate the license.

After starting the VAMT-tool there are several KMS host (2 servers and 2 workstations). The other workstations can not get a license, while there are at this moment 28 workstations and 2 servers present in the AD.

Is there a problem with the KMS-host; if so how do I disable the other host-computers and turn them into client computers ?

Kind regards,

Fred van Irsel
    ZLTO Tilburg
    Netherlands
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:53 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

This cause of the KMS count issue can be that 2 KMS hosts exist in your AD.

I suggest converting one KMS host to KMS client to test the result. After that, please change the product key to use the retail key to activate this server.

Once only one KMS host exists in your environment, by default, KMS clients automatically attempt to discover this KMS host.

You can also manually assign a KMS host to a KMS client

1. Log on to the KMS client computer.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, type one of the following options and press Enter:

a. Assign a KMS host using the host's FQDN, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <KMS_FQDN>:<port>

b. To assign a KMS host using the host's version 4 IP address, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv4Address><:port>

c. To assign a KMS host using the host's version 6 IP address, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv6Address><:port>

d. To assign a KMS host using the host's NETBIOS name, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <NetbiosName><:port>

For more information, please refer to the following articles:

25+ clients, count 5

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3863737&SiteID=17

vista kms activation issue

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3817654&SiteID=17

if the issue persists, as your issue is mainly related to activation, I suggest posting a new thread in our Activation forum for further discussion.

Windows Vista Activation

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2155&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:34 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

As you are using the VAMT tool to activate the systems, I would like to confirm whether you are activating KMS or MAK keys.

As I know, the VAMT tool can only be used to activate MAK keys.

For more information about KMS and MAK activation, please refer to the following article:

Volume Activation 2.0 Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx#_Convert_KMS_Clients

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

We are trying to deploy KMS-keys. Stil got the message that there are to little machines available.

Kind regards,

Fred van Irsel
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:35 AM
  • It also seems that not all of the Vista workstations are counted bij the server. On one server the count is 13 (slmgr.vbs -dlv) and on the second server the count is 2, while there are totaly 28 workstations and 2 servers in the AD.

Kind regards,

Fred van Irsel
    • Edited by fvi Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:43 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

First please run Slmgr.vbs /ipk <KMSSetupKey> to convert one KMS host to KMS client. The KMSSetupKey can be found in ..\sources\pid.txt on the original Windows Vista installation media. These keys are publicly known and are edition specific. Remember to delete any unnecessary SRV resource records from DNS and then restart the computers.

Please make sure you have at least 25 physical clients. Virtual machines can be activated but are not counted. In addition, I would like to confirm if your computers are cloned. If so, you need to run sysprep /generalize or slmgr /rearm to reset the CMID and other product activation information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:44 AM
  • Ii've run the slmgr -ipk on the vista workstations so they turned into client.
    I did not run the sysprep / generalize becuase then the specific default user setting are lost. In stead, I run the slmgr - rearm. 
    That problem is solved.

The second problem is the second server that is also acting as an second KMS Host, can I run this option also on the server, or do I need to use the option "change product key" to set the sever back to the normal state. We are using static keys for the servers, no KMS keys.

At this moment I have 29 workstations in the AD with Vista enterprise and the proper KMS key installed, and 2 servers Windows 2008= total of 31

At the command slmgr -dlv I only see 18 machines counted on one server and 2 on the second server. I assume that the other machines are not counted so I stil can not activate the KMS key on my workstations. 

So the questions now are:

1. How do I disable the option on the second server so it is not acting as KMS Host anymore?
    2. How do I register the 2 machines that are counted by the second server to the other server, or is that automaticly handeld ?
    3. How do I register the other machines (31-/- 18 = 13) in the VAMT to update status and activate ?

Hope the problem is clear and you can help me out.

Kind regards,

Fred van Irsel
    ZLTO Tilburg
    Netherlands

Friday, October 24, 2008 8:14 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

This cause of the KMS count issue can be that 2 KMS hosts exist in your AD.

I suggest converting one KMS host to KMS client to test the result. After that, please change the product key to use the retail key to activate this server.

Once only one KMS host exists in your environment, by default, KMS clients automatically attempt to discover this KMS host.

You can also manually assign a KMS host to a KMS client

1. Log on to the KMS client computer.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, type one of the following options and press Enter:

a. Assign a KMS host using the host's FQDN, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <KMS_FQDN>:<port>

b. To assign a KMS host using the host's version 4 IP address, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv4Address><:port>

c. To assign a KMS host using the host's version 6 IP address, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv6Address><:port>

d. To assign a KMS host using the host's NETBIOS name, type:

cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <NetbiosName><:port>

For more information, please refer to the following articles:

25+ clients, count 5

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3863737&SiteID=17

vista kms activation issue

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3817654&SiteID=17

if the issue persists, as your issue is mainly related to activation, I suggest posting a new thread in our Activation forum for further discussion.

Windows Vista Activation

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2155&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Hi Tim,

At last, the KMS server is giving the licenses to my workstations. As soon the count was above the 25, it started to handeling the licensing. 
    I hope the count will stay at the 25+.

Now there is still 1 problem to solve, I hope you have als an solution for this one :D

In the Volume Activation Management Tool I see all the Vista Enterprise machines and my servers W2008 comming from the AD, most of the machines are "green"and have the license status: renewed. (about 50% of the machines)

The machines are all member of the same domain, and are all in the same OU.

The problem is the several machines have a  "yellow triangle" with the status <not available> and the error code 0x800706BA, so they are not seen by the tool. The machines themselves are getting a license so that's not the problem, not being visable with the green icon is.

The machines are all installed from the same image, and are all DELL Latitude D820 or D830 laptops with bitlocker enabled.
    From some machines i have delete the dns record, and let them register newly when logging on to the domain (Wired or Wireless makes no diffrence), but that is not an sollution. They still are yellow.
    I can ping the stations from the KMS host and the stations are getting an license so the network-connection should be OK. The firewall-rules are supplied by group-policies and are equal for all stations in this OU.

I have run the VAMT from difrent servers and on my own laptop, but the result is the same.

Hope you can help me also with this issue.

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards,

Fred van Irsel
    ZLTO Tilburg
    Netherlands

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Thanks, I have the same problem
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:25 AM