none
2008r2 indexing roaming profiles and redirected folders

Question

• I have a terminal server 2008r2/xenapp 6.5 environment.  A fileserver has been created that hosts Home Drives, Redirected Folders, and Roaming Profiles.  Indexing is not installed/configured.  I had a user request indexing be enabled due to SVN data stored on his redirected folders.  I am hesitant to do this due to issues with performance and consumption of storage space due to dat and library files.

Does microsoft have a best practice guideline for this scenario?  I have not been able to find any opinion from MS on the practice, just configuration instructions.  Until I am able to re-architect how our existing user data is stored, I want to keep things as they are.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:29 PM

Answers

• i would pursue other options first.

Windows Search may be able to be extended by ifilters or protocol handlers, instead of enabling the ancient Indexing service.

Or, put this user's folders onto a dedicated WS2003 server where you run the indexing service.

it seems an significant expense on performance to load up a shared server, to service a requirement for a single user?

or is there a better option for the SVN repository? (maybe a different OS?)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:15 AM

All replies

• Sorry, what are SVN files? Generally speaking, indexing is beneficial for file server, but it also consumes a great amount of hardware/software resources when creating index.

I’ve not found an official best practice for Index service in Windows Server 2008 R2 from Microsoft probably because it’s a legacy feature in earlier Windows Server and by default not installed since Windows 2008. You may monitor the Resource usage to see if it works fine in your scenario.

Regards,

Zhang     

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback, please send your feedback here.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 6:42 AM
  • i would pursue other options first.

Windows Search may be able to be extended by ifilters or protocol handlers, instead of enabling the ancient Indexing service.

Or, put this user's folders onto a dedicated WS2003 server where you run the indexing service.

it seems an significant expense on performance to load up a shared server, to service a requirement for a single user?

or is there a better option for the SVN repository? (maybe a different OS?)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Probably have to go that route as there are a number of users (all developers) that would need this. Not too much expense in an ESX environment.  Will just need another LUN carved out. Thanks for the info.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:44 PM
  • I would also appreciate it if moderators did not mark their own replies as answers as soon as they post them.  Allow the original poster to decide that.  Don's answer was more on the mark than Zhang's, and Don even knew what SVNs were!!
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:10 PM