none
adprep error on 2003 server

Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to promote a 2008 R2 server to domain controller on a network with a single

2003 domain controller. When I him run adprep /forestprep I get the following error. Note: There is a TechNet article suggesting that I disable the antivirus to avoid this problem. I have already treid that, no help.

Updating change from:" International ISDN Number (Others)" to "International ISDN Number (Others)"  for locale 409, object inetOrgPerson-Display and property attributeDisplayNames.

Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function failed.

[Status/Consequence]

Error message: Could not find path d:.  (0x80004005).

[User Action]

Check the log file ADPrep.log, in the C:\WINDOWS\debug\adprep\logs\20130302174840 directory for more information.

Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:05 PM

Answers

• If it's a feasible option, try following

• Introduce an additional domain controller (OS must be 2003, same platform(32bit or 64bit) and with same Service pack level as your existinbg 2003 DC)
    • Let replication to occur
    • Transfer Schema master role to newly introduced additional DC
    • Run adprep on newly introduced additional DC (Make sure not to install any security applications such as AV or Anti spyware etc...)
    • If adprep works, you may chose to demote this recently introduced DC by duly transferring the schema master role back to desired DC

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate TextVote As Helpful & click on Alternate TextMark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 4:54 AM
  • I would agree with Santosh for this approach. Note also that having at least two DC / DNS / GC servers per AD domain is recommended for the high availability of AD / DNS services and for troubleshooting (Like your case now).

Please also disable any security software running on your current DC. This is because having some wrong security filtering may be the cause of such behaviors.

Please also run dcdiag on the DC you have to check that it is in a healthy state.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:24 AM

All replies

•  

It is better to have additional domain controller. 

Have you check the log file ADPrep.log, in the C:\WINDOWS\debug\adprep\logs\20130302174840 directory.

Troubleshoot the issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/12/15/troubleshooting-adprep-errors.aspx

Thanks

• Edited by MYousufAli Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:40 PM
    Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. The error was pasted from the adprep.log. 

Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Any other ideas would be welcome. Thanks.
    Sunday, March 03, 2013 1:32 AM
  • If it's a feasible option, try following

• Introduce an additional domain controller (OS must be 2003, same platform(32bit or 64bit) and with same Service pack level as your existinbg 2003 DC)
    • Let replication to occur
    • Transfer Schema master role to newly introduced additional DC
    • Run adprep on newly introduced additional DC (Make sure not to install any security applications such as AV or Anti spyware etc...)
    • If adprep works, you may chose to demote this recently introduced DC by duly transferring the schema master role back to desired DC

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate TextVote As Helpful & click on Alternate TextMark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 4:54 AM
  • I would agree with Santosh for this approach. Note also that having at least two DC / DNS / GC servers per AD domain is recommended for the high availability of AD / DNS services and for troubleshooting (Like your case now).

Please also disable any security software running on your current DC. This is because having some wrong security filtering may be the cause of such behaviors.

Please also run dcdiag on the DC you have to check that it is in a healthy state.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:24 AM