none
Error "The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers available to provide a license" when connecting with Windows xp XP3 to Windows 2008 R2

Question

• Why can't I connect through RDP form Windows XP SP3 client to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server? The server is properly connected to a license server serving 30 device licenses. I have no problem when connecting with a Windows 7 client to the server. If I try the same with a Windows XP SP3 client, I get the error message "The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers available to provide a license". Is there anything I have to configure for enabling access for XP clients?

The license server is not configured on a DC and not in a terminal Server license servers group in the AD.

Friday, January 06, 2012 1:08 PM

Answers

• Are you sure your Windows XP machine is not device number 31 and you ran out of licenses? If your Windows 7 machine still has a valid cached license, a user can connect from there, but not from the Windows XP machine.

BTW, are you using the same Remote Desctop Connection version on both Win7 and WinXP?

Benny

Friday, January 06, 2012 7:07 PM