none
MMC Snap-in error

Question

• When I open my Server Manager on my Windows 2008 Server R2, these error messages follow and Force me to close it:

MMC has detected an error and will unload it...Unload the snap-in & continue running.

Unhandled exception in managed code snap-in.

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.FormView.InternalInitialize()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.HandleInitializationRequest(IRequestStatus requestStatus)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ViewMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Use Windows server 2008 installation media perform a startup repair and rename the pending.xml file. The pending.xml file stores information of failed updates.

To do so, please follow the steps below:

1) Insert Windows server 2008 media and restart the computer from CD/DVD.

2) Choose the language. Then in the bottom left of the installation windows, click Repair the computer.

3) Choose CMD prompt to repair the computer.

4) Enter the following command to rename pending.xml file.

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <EnterUsernameHere>:F

ren C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.old

If the issue persists, we may need to perform an in-place upgrade of the system.

Tim Quan

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please run the System Update Readiness Tool and then paste the result in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Tim Quan

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:03 AM
  • SUR Tool had been run previously & the contents of CheckSUR.log are pasted below:

=================================

Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.1.7600.20822

Package Version 10.0

2011-02-08 18:36

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:

Seconds executed: 280

No errors detected

Friday, February 11, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Since no error appears in CheckSUR.log, please send me the following logs for further research:

%windir%\logs\servermanager.log

%windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

You can upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=91b3eae6-42a1-4526-b88c-09d6b77d98b1

Password: iyY5Z#bDGDSVi$uu

Tim Quan

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your response.

The reqd. files have been zip-uploaded

Joy

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:39 AM
  •  

Hello,

Thank you for the sending me the files.

I noticed in the Servermanager.log file, there is any error: “C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist”.

Sometimes the C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache folder could be deleted by Symantec EndPoint Protection software.

If you have Symantec EndPoint Protection software, please disable or remove it first.

I suggest restoring the Cache folder to the state when CbsUpdateState.bin existed.

Open C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager, right-click Cache and click Properties. On the Previous Version tab, choose a folder version which contains the CbsUpdateState.bin file and click Restore.

If the issue persists, we may need to reinstall .Net Framework components.

Meanwhile, please Click Start, click Run, type cmd and press Enter. Type in “sfc /scannow” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

Tim Quan

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks you very much.

1. SEP-related problem was suggested to me by one of my friends;I did uninstall SEP thereafter. But that is not helping me now.

2. .NET framework-related issues was also told to me:

TWO products viz.,  MS .NET Framework 4 Extended & MS .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, which were appearing - I uninstalled them, downloaded .NET FW 4.0 again and installed it. 

But the MMC snap-in error persists.

3.  Under C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache, when I select "Previous Versions" , nothing appears- there are no entries. It only displays:

"There are no previous versions available"

Which means - I've nothing to restore it to. 

4.  sfc /scannow has already been done a couple of times.

I donot know whatelse to try. My server is only 3-months old; Quite a bit of work has  gone into deploying my application.  I'm afraid I'm hitting a dead-end....

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Use Windows server 2008 installation media perform a startup repair and rename the pending.xml file. The pending.xml file stores information of failed updates.

To do so, please follow the steps below:

1) Insert Windows server 2008 media and restart the computer from CD/DVD.

2) Choose the language. Then in the bottom left of the installation windows, click Repair the computer.

3) Choose CMD prompt to repair the computer.

4) Enter the following command to rename pending.xml file.

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <EnterUsernameHere>:F

ren C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.old

If the issue persists, we may need to perform an in-place upgrade of the system.

Tim Quan

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Use your Windows 7 DVD and simply UPGRADE and be done with it. 

You won't lose any of your programs.  Otherwise you will get the runaround from the internet.  Oh and make sure your DVD is set to run in Windows Vista SP2 mode (right click setup.exe to change).  Three hours later everything is fixed.  If you don't have a product key to enter at the end, you will only have limited access.  If you don't have a Windows 7 installer DVD, then you are screwed unless you buy a new OS.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:26 PM
  • This might be solved by adding .NET Framework 3.5.1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817142/en-us
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Anyone who has this issue can simply install via command line. 
    Sunday, December 08, 2013 8:40 PM