none
Vista Backup Failed with Error 0x81000006

Question

• Configuration:  Doing a Vista Backup from a Vista Home Premium PC/laptop to a drive, which is connected to another Vista Home Premium PC/desktop.

Problem:  The Vista Backup starts running OK and continues to run for some time, it then fails with error code 0x81000006 ==> "The backup location cannot be found........".

Problem Determination:  Connected the drive locally to the laptop (USB port) and the backup completed successfully.

Open issue:  How do I fix the problem of the Vista Backup not completing when it runs over the network ?  Please help. 
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Zack,

I see multiple backup failure traces, all indicating that there is a genuine error while accessing the network share.

I believe there is some network connectivity issues that is causing backups to fail.

Can you check if you are able to XCOPY a large amount of data to the network share? I suspect you will hit the same error.

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi zxk1,

If you connect the drive back to the desktop PC and reconfigure backup (i.e. going through the selection wizard again, choosing the network location) and rerun backup,  does this error still persist?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, September 04, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Christine,

I retried the backup per your instructions and the Vista Backup failed again with the same error code.  FYI below are the various phases of the backup and their respective start times (to give you a better understanding of the approximate point of failure):

Backup started.................. 21:39
    Creating shadow copy........ 21:39
    Scanning files to backup....  21:41
    Backing-up files................  21:42
    Backup failed...................   21:51

Please let me know next steps for getting to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
    zxk1

Saturday, September 05, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Hello.

Can you share the Windows backup failure traces (*.ETL files) under %windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup? Pl. send them across to sriramb-nospam@microsoft.com (pl. remove -nospam from the ID to get the correct one).

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:46 AM
  • Sriram,

The ETL files have been sent to the above ID.  Please let me know next steps.

Thanks,
    zxk1

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Hi Zack,

I see multiple backup failure traces, all indicating that there is a genuine error while accessing the network share.

I believe there is some network connectivity issues that is causing backups to fail.

Can you check if you are able to XCOPY a large amount of data to the network share? I suspect you will hit the same error.

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hi Zack,

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]

Per our emails, the problem occurs only when the PC being backed-up is accessing the network over a wireless access point but the only process that complains about the wireless network is the Vista Backup.  Will change the setup to have a wired access to the network at the scheduled backup time....until a fix is available.

zxk1
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Hello:

Sorry to pick up on old thread, but am having similar & related issues: Cannot perform Windows Backup to EHD.

Had been performing weekly, manual (not scheduled) "files/folders" and "complete PC" backup with Windows Backup utility to WD external HD since purchasing this system ~ 1 year ago.  No problems.

On 1/31/2010, a "files/folders" backup completed successfully, but a complete PC backup "hung" when ~95% complete. No error message. Plenty of space on external hard drive.  Windows also "hung", in that I could not kill the backup process, could not open task manager (from R click @ system clock or Ctrl-Alt-Del), and could not shut down system without a "push and hold" on power switch on tower.

Tried again yesterday - same thing.  No error message, but only "F/F" backup completed, while complete PC backup hung and I had to power the system off from the CPU to kill the process again. (When this happens, although I can move mouse/cursor, I cannot open/close programs or task manager or shut down the system).

To isolate the problem, I connected the EHD to my other computer (Dell Latitude E6500 running Win 7 Pro (x86)) -- no problems with the EHD.
    I did defragment it and try again today -- same problem.
    So, I went out and bought a brand new, NTFS-formatted, Vista-compatible EHD from Iomega.

When I plugged in the USB cable, Vista recognized the new device immediately and "successfully" loaded the driver.  I checked "computer" > "L:" and it was there.

However, when I tried to run both a "files/folders" backup and a "complete PC backup", I got the error 0x81000006 code and had to reboot to kill the backup process. 

So, just to reiterate, on the "old" EHD, the process starts and then hangs (no error messages), while on the "new" EHD, the process immediately fails with an 0x81000006 error, even though Vista DOES see the drive.

I am able to directly copy/paste and drag/drop files from the desktop to the old EHD (haven't tried it on the new one yet), so the problem seems isolated to the Windows Backup Utility.

I contacted Dell YourTech Team support and they advised that this is a "fatal" error in Windows Vista and that I will need to do a complete OS uninstall/reinstall.  Needless to say, if I am going to go to that trouble, I will be either upgrading this system to Win 7 or buying a new system.

Please advise, as I really don't want to have to nuke/pave this computer or to replace it (it is only 13 months old).

Specs: Dell XPS 420, Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 600 GB HDD, ATI Radeon 3450; OEM Vista Ultimate SP2 (X86), fully patched; IE 8 (fully patched). Free of malware and infections, and otherwise pretty stable for a Vista platform.

Please, please tell me this is fixable???  EDIT: I can send the error files, if you need them, as I just followed instructions in an earlier post about how to locate them.

Thanks!

Ronna
    • Edited by daledoc1 Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:23 AM more info
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:19 AM