none
Windows Server 2003 - lsass.exe System Error - Object Name not found

Question

• I have searched high and low for the last 4 days to find a solution to this problem.  I have used my server 2003 discs and done a repair on the install.  I have downloaded new SV2003 iso and used them as a repair.  I have tried booting into safe mode and the same issue comes up.  I have booted into the recovery console and run every single thing I could think of with no luck.  I have taken the drive out and slaved it on another PC changed the lsass.exe to lsass.exe.old not luck.   Now I know most of you are going to say just reformat and start over. I would if I could...  this install is very important and the information and setup on it can not be lost.  If anyone ANYONE has a solution to this or a fix that would be greatly appreciated.  And no it is not a virus as this server is only used to upload documents to which are created in house.

The way it all stared was when I was upgrading the RAM in the Server once I popped out a stick and realized the wrong RAM had been sent I put the original stick back in to the motherboard and rebooted to have this error come up everytime. I have gone into the BIOs and set it to default with nothing changing.  I am pleading with anyone or even Microsoft please help!

Andrew Reed City of Lacombe
    Monday, May 16, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

i understand your pain.. well have you try using active boot disk ? try downloading active boot disk. Execute it on that problematic machine. active boot disk allows you to perform sys restore. and  back up all your data..

you can google the iso image for active boot disk. Is free

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i does not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• The Server is an HP ProLiant ML150

1 GB of RAM

320 Seagate HD

RAID 5 configuration for the Data

HP StorageWorks Ultrium 232 Drive

DVD+R DL Drive

CPU Type - Intel (R) Xeon(R) CPU 5120 @ 1.86 GHz

CPU Speed 1860 MHz

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

1) In the first place if you were to mount the wrong ram. Your server should not boot to OS level.

2) In the event on RAM replacement did you follow the server chasis guide ? because replacing ram on server and PC is totally differrent. Because the server actually captured the initialization of RAMs so if certain slot for RAM wasn't initialise therefore the slot will not function.

3) lsass.exe is a local security authority services. Therefore if you were to have any missing component with regards to lsass.exe, i would reccomend you to proceed with systems restore.

Do let me know if you need further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further :)

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
    • Proposed as answer by Guowen SuBanned Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Andrew Reed Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:26 AM
  • I have done a system recovery 3 or 4 times with the original disks that the install was done with and then new SV2003 discs downloaded from MS website.  I have booted from the last known good configuration. I do not see anywhere that a system restore can be done.  I know how it works with WinXP and you can pick a date to restore too.  But with this server I can not even get into windows I can't boot to Safe Mode with cmd prompt nothing.  Is there a way to do a system restore with the recovery console? If so can you please let me know the cmds to do so, I will try anything right now.

On the RAM note the server when it boots does recognize both sticks of so I don't believe that is the problem.  I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what I had done from the beginning.

Thanks for your help and I really hope we can solve this.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Bump
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

i understand your pain.. well have you try using active boot disk ? try downloading active boot disk. Execute it on that problematic machine. active boot disk allows you to perform sys restore. and  back up all your data..

you can google the iso image for active boot disk. Is free

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i does not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:41 PM