none
Primary/Extended Partition

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 server, RAID 5, 1200GB. I put 100 GB primary partition for O/S. Now I'm trying to create 200GB extened partition for Program and 300GB extended partition for Data. New Partition Wizard doesn't give me a step: Select Partition Type. 200GB always goes as primary and 300GB goes as extended. Is there anyway I can change 200GB as extended partition? And I dont understand the reason 200GB-primary and 300GB-extended

Thank you for your help

• Moved by Tim QuanModerator Monday, October 04, 2010 4:34 AM (From:Setup Deployment)
    Friday, October 01, 2010 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Start from Windows Vista (Windows 2008), when we create partitions on a disk, it will create 3 primary partitions and the following partitions will be extend. It is by design.

If you would like to create the second partition as extend, you will need to use Diskpart command.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:11 AM

All replies

• How are extended partitions adding value?  Use your array controller to create logical volumes based on the number of physical spindles and present those to Windows.  Maybe the first two physical disks as a RAID 1 mirror for C: and the rest RAID 5 for D:

I always recommend keeping configurations as simple as possible.  You never know if down the road you have a disaster recovery situtation or maintenance where extended partitions will complicate matters.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT]
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 04, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Thank you, Dave, for helping me.

Actually, extended partition is not necessary here. My question: in 2003 there is a step called Select Partition Type for New Partition Wizard but I don't see it in 2008 R2. If I need to set up one parition as primary, one as extened, what can I do by New Partition Wizard? Thanks

Monday, October 04, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Start from Windows Vista (Windows 2008), when we create partitions on a disk, it will create 3 primary partitions and the following partitions will be extend. It is by design.

If you would like to create the second partition as extend, you will need to use Diskpart command.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:11 AM