none
Increase Partition Size

Question

• I have a windows 2003 server that has a partition with logical drive d.  The disk is a basic disk.  I have unallocated disk space and would like to increase the size of the d partition.  I would prefer not to have to backup and restore data.  Is there any way to do this without having to buy a partition tool software?
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• If the OS is installed on the same partition then you'll need to go the third-party route.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:36 PM
  • As Dave mentioned, there is no inbuilt way to resize an OS partition in Server 2003.

This is a feature of Windows Server 2008 or above.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:56 PM
  • The OS is not installed on the same partition.  This partition has data only.  I tested with a 2003 box and converted the basic disk to dynamic disk and then did an expand volume which seemed to work just fine.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Then this article should help.

How to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows 2000, and in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:45 AM
  • If Drive D is the next drive to Drive C (such listed in diskmgmt.msc: Drive C, Drive D, unallowcated space), you cannot assign unallowcated space to Drive C directly. In order to enlarge Drive C, you will have to format Drive D (or finding a third party program which can help resize Drive C without format)

Shaon Shan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Monday, June 28, 2010 9:13 AM
  • You can first try to use DiskPart.exe to extend D: drive. If it cannot, you may have to use other server partition manager software.
    Aomei Technology
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:56 AM
  • If the unallocated space is behind the partition that you need to extend, you may try diskpart command line, as it provdies by microsoft and it is free.

As diskpart cannot "move" partition, if there is no unallocated space, it is useless.

For Windows Server, there is no free third party partition tool.

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Without question, the article about add free space to partition with server partition manager will help you, what’s more, you also can get the detail guides about the operating procedure. I think, will help many people who face the similar problem like you.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:53 AM