none
Connection Error WSUS Console

Question

• Hi,

When opening the WSUS console i now get the following error -

An Error occurred trying to connect the WSUS server. This error can happen for a number of reasons. Check connectivity with the server. Please contact your network administrator if the problem persists.

In the event logs we have the event id: 7053. I can supply the whole event if needed.

Does anyone know how i might be able to resolve this?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For anyone who is following this thread i found the answer. WSUS was using the wrong version of asp.net. I followed the steps in this guide -

http://www.techscrapbook.com/?p=57

Hope that helps others fix this problem, and thanks for any help along the way.

• Marked as answer by Mike8010 Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:48 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This error is probably due to the WWW Publishing service being configured to allow interaction with the desktop. To solve this problem, take the following steps:

1. Open the Services snap-in (click Start, click Run, and then type services.msc).

2. Right-click the World Wide Web Publishing service and select Properties.

3. On the LogOn tab, clear the Allow service to interact with desktop check box.

4. Click OK, and then dismiss the Services snap-in.

5. rom a command shell, type iisreset.

At this point you should be able to access the WSUS server from the console again.
    • Proposed as answer by Ron Decker Wednesday, September 02, 2009 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I have just tried to do this on our server and the 'Allow service to interact with the desktop' check box is already clear. Do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem? New updates are being sent to the computers but i cant view WSUS through the console?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:35 PM
  • In the event logs we have the event id: 7053. I can supply the whole event if needed.
    Please do.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:33 AM
  • New updates are being sent to the computers but i cant view WSUS through the console?
    Eric, when did this problem first appear?  What has changed on the WSUS Server since just before this problem first appeared?

Does this only exist on the console at the WSUS Server? Can you use remote consoles to connect, or are they also failing?

Have you tried deleting the WSUS mmc configuration file in %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\MMC?

Since EventID 7053 is a DNS-related issue -- have you verified that all DNS functionality is working on the WSUS Server?

Does the command nslookup wsusservername return the correct IP Address?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

I ran the nslookup command and its returning the correct address. We only run the console on the WSUS server and thats where the problem is, i haven't tried to connect yet using a remote console. If i delete the WSUS mmc configuration file, do i need to reconfigure anything after that? 

There are two event errors 7053 and 7032 -

Event Type:     Error
    Event Source:   Windows Server Update Services
    Event Category: None
    Event ID:       7053
    Date:           08/07/2009
    Time:           10:07:54
    User:           N/A
    Computer:      
    Description:
    The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,
    Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.NullReferenceException -- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ResetScopeNode()
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Event Type:     Warning
    Event Source:   Windows Server Update Services
    Event Category: None
    Event ID:       7032
    Date:           08/07/2009
    Time:           10:09:12
    User:           N/A
    Computer:      
    Description:
    The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.
    Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.
    The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,
    Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IO.IOException -- The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.
    Source
    System
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.CallProcessAuthentication(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
    Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.OnExpandFromLoad(SyncStatus status)
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:25 PM
  • > We only run the console on the WSUS server and thats where the problem is, i haven't tried to connect yet using a remote console.
    > If i delete the WSUS mmc configuration file, do i need to reconfigure anything after that? 

No. Just rerun the WSUS Administration Console from the Start | Administrative Tools menu like you did the first time it was installed. You should then be prompted to connect to a server (or, it may connect to the local server automatically).
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

For anyone who is following this thread i found the answer. WSUS was using the wrong version of asp.net. I followed the steps in this guide -

http://www.techscrapbook.com/?p=57

Hope that helps others fix this problem, and thanks for any help along the way.

• Marked as answer by Mike8010 Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:48 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi Mike 8010

I have tried you link http://www.techscrapbook.com/?p=57, but the problem is i can't seems to run aspnet_regiis –I.it says " windows cannot find the sapnet_regiis".
    How should i run that?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Krav, aspnet_regiis.exe is located in the folder %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. The utility is not pathed; it is necessary for you to navigate directly to that folder in a command line session, or else provide the full pathname using the Start | Run applet..

e.g. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_iisreg.exe -I

If the file truly does not exist in the v2.0.50727 folder, or you don't have a v2.0.50727 folder, then you may need to do a reinstallation of the .NET Framework v2.0.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Hi Lawrence

I have manage it, I end up reinstalling the WSUS, it is working fine when i manual synchronise but the problem now is when SCCM synchronise with the WSUS it fail:

error

STATMSG: ID=6701 SEV=I LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=ZAJNB-S-SCCMP01 SITE=6DA PID=6912 TID=3496 GMTDATE=Sun Aug 30 16:02:51.738 2009 ISTR0="" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 2009/08/30 06:02:51 PM 3496 (0x0DA8)
    Sync failed: WSUS server not configured. Source: CWSyncMgr::DoSync SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 2009/08/30 06:07:51 PM 3496 (0x0DA8)
    STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=ZAJNB-S-SCCMP01 SITE=6DA PID=6912 TID=3496 GMTDATE=Sun Aug 30 16:07:51.736 2009 ISTR0="CWSyncMgr::DoSync" ISTR1="WSUS server not configured" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 2009/08/30 06:07:51 PM 3496 (0x0DA8)
    Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 2009/08/30 06:07:51 PM 3496 (0x0DA8)

Any idea,

regard
    Krav

Monday, August 31, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Reinstallation of WSUS, combined with this message: Sync failed: WSUS server not configured suggests to me that perhaps the SCCM needs to be re-configured with regard to the WSUS Server. If the SCCM is using GUIDs, that's a value that would have changed as a result of the uninstall/reinstall of WSUS.

Beyond that, you may need to take the rest of this over to the CM forum, where the CM experts will likely be able to help you better.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:55 PM
  • I too have the same issue under windows 2008 R2 and the iis installer is no present

System.NullReferenceException -- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ResetScopeNode()

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:30 PM