none
Remote execution problem - get-clusterlog

Question

• If I execute the query on a cluster node it all works well. If I do it remotely from Win7 it fails with "Failed to generate cluster log on node [cluster]N1. Invalid class string ... 0x800401F3 \...

get-clusterlog -cluster [cluster] -destination $env:userprofile\desktop

Where [cluster] is the name of my cluster. I can remotely manage my cluster just having issues with powershell. Do I need to enable remote execution or something?

Firewall: port 3343 is open.

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:46 AM

Answers

• Thank you for update. It seems the problem was caused by the design of this cmdlet, it requires local cluster feature files. Since cluster.exe works, please invoke cluster.exe in your PowerShell instead if necessary.

invoke-command -scriptblock { cluster log /g /copy:logs }

For your reference:
    Invoke-Command
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347578.aspx 

How to create the cluster.log in Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2008/09/24/8962934.aspx

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:46 AM

All replies

• RSAT installed
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:52 AM
  • So why does it have the -cluster option?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:27 AM
  •  

Sorry for the incorrect reply. I tested again and the cmdlets works if Cluster Feature was installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2 system which is not a cluster node. I got the same error with only RSAT installed.

I’m afraid cluster feature cannot be installed on Windows 7, so Windows 7 still cannot be used to manage Cluster.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:38 AM
  • I can manage W2K8R2 clusters from Win 7 machine. Everything seems to work (cluster.exe command-line etc), except this particular powershell command.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:27 AM

• Thank you for update. It seems the problem was caused by the design of this cmdlet, it requires local cluster feature files. Since cluster.exe works, please invoke cluster.exe in your PowerShell instead if necessary.

invoke-command -scriptblock { cluster log /g /copy:logs }

For your reference:
    Invoke-Command
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347578.aspx 

How to create the cluster.log in Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2008/09/24/8962934.aspx

Thanks.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:46 AM
  • So, should we raise this as a bug with the product team?
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Id say it is, you should surely be able to run that remotely!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:52 AM
  • I’ll investigate this with the Product Team.

Ron Stock - Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, October 01, 2010 8:21 PM