none
Unable to delete files using Cluster Shared Volumes

Question

• I have recently implemented Cluster Shared Volumes and noticed today that when I delete files off the share (using an admin account) the files appear to be deleted and then they re-appear.  I have checked the NTFS permissions and it appears the account i am using has full privildges.  If I go to the CSV folder (c:\clusterstorage\volume1) I can delete it from there with no problems.  If I attempt to do it from the network share (e.g. K drive) the files re-appear within about 10 seconds of being deleted.

I like the idea of cluster shared volumes and the HA of this, but if my users can't delete their files they create from the network storage location, I may have to scrap this functionality.  I hope this isn't the case and I am missing something simple somewhere.

The CSV is part of my server 2008 r2 cluster (shared cluster storage).  

Any ideas of what permissions or what needs to be tweaked?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:12 AM

Answers

• thanks for the info, but it really didn't help my case.

Our business model is we collect data via a VM and store it locally.  When the data is processed we transfer it to a shared drive (CSV) and then our users will make a copy of the data file and use it with their tools.  Some users make a copy locally and clean up is their responsibility, we have some that prefer to use the CSV drive and that leaves clean up to me (also if we ever have a rare case of bad data).

I get the concept of the CSV but it doesn't fit out model.  I ended up creating a fileserver that allowed me to put the NTFS permissions I need on the drive but also allow users to delete files they created but nothing that the application created.

Not the best solution probably but it should work for our business model.  

I have been using DFS for years and love it and I tried everything I think I could have done to get CSV to work the way they need to in our environment.  When I made the CSV a fileshare my existing permissions worked.  When it was under a CSV it didn't work unless i gave full control to all users.  Sort of a nightmare but I think I have reached the end of tunnel.

• Marked as answer by Tony DeZarn Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:09 AM
    • Edited by Tony DeZarn Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:10 AM spelling
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If I attempt to do it from the network share (e.g. K drive) the files re-appear within about 10 seconds of being deleted.
    >> Did you share the folder c:\clusterstorage\volume1 to other users?

By the way, if you want to delete the files in c:\clusterstorage\volume1, why not just delete it directly from the folder?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:32 AM
  • Yes I shared the folder to other users.  We are using DFS to provide a dynamic link for drive mappings.  The users are the ones who create files when compiling data and once they have their reports they don't need the data in their extracted format (hence the reason to delete it).  

Is there any specific permissions that need to be enabled or created to allow them to delete?  I gave domain users read/write/modify (contribute) and domain admins full control.  When I do it as a domain admin I can delete but the files reappear like they were never deleted.

The reason I don't want to have to delete if from the c:\clusterstorage folder is just time.  We have over 100 users and they have their tools which do their own data cleanup upon completion of their tasks.  By having our team do this it just creates a lot of overhead.  It would be much easier for all parties to allow them to delete their own files.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

Cluster Shard Volumes is designed for Hyper-V, you can put VMs in it and then make those virtual machines high availability. 

when I delete files off the share
    >> What files did you put in the Cluster Shared Volumes and wanted to delete?

By the way, if you want to create a DFS for your users, just do what DFS recommended.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:04 AM
  • thanks for the info, but it really didn't help my case.

Our business model is we collect data via a VM and store it locally.  When the data is processed we transfer it to a shared drive (CSV) and then our users will make a copy of the data file and use it with their tools.  Some users make a copy locally and clean up is their responsibility, we have some that prefer to use the CSV drive and that leaves clean up to me (also if we ever have a rare case of bad data).

I get the concept of the CSV but it doesn't fit out model.  I ended up creating a fileserver that allowed me to put the NTFS permissions I need on the drive but also allow users to delete files they created but nothing that the application created.

Not the best solution probably but it should work for our business model.  

I have been using DFS for years and love it and I tried everything I think I could have done to get CSV to work the way they need to in our environment.  When I made the CSV a fileshare my existing permissions worked.  When it was under a CSV it didn't work unless i gave full control to all users.  Sort of a nightmare but I think I have reached the end of tunnel.

• Marked as answer by Tony DeZarn Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:09 AM
    • Edited by Tony DeZarn Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:10 AM spelling
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:09 AM