none
Licensing server, CALs (where to find the code to install them ...) and TS server

Question

• Sorry to disturb everyone with this stupid question, but I can't find anywhere the code to enable the 5 CAL that I have (i hve 5 per device and 5 per user, but the license is almost the same). I successfully installed the ts server and the licensing server, but at this point on the license itself I have only a tracking id that is 14 numbers, and other 2 alphanumeric codes of 8 chars. Can someone explain to me where I have to search for the right code to insert?

Plus the win server 2008 should have already 5 cals inside, but there is no license on the paper that should contain them but only a paper with a custom space to write how many licenses per type.

Last question, can someone clarify the difference between user and device CAL? At the beginning I thought that per device was related at a singular precise machine, and user instead allows a tot number of user connected at the same time, regardless the identity of the user.

Thanks for your time

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:01 PM

Answers

• How do you think you made a mitake? You need both Server CAL's and RDS CAL's so if you bought CAL's thats fine.
    Depending of what kind of a client that is you might get licenses cheaper (UNI campus for example, of Education etc.).

Yes, if you need to connect 10 users per Terminal Server then you need 10 Server CAL's + 10 RDS CAL's. The way it is calculated. But there is a catch!
    So if you will create active directory then you will need 30 Server USER CAL's (of if at no time there will be 30 sim connections at the same time you may live with 10 - that is mostly in a workgroup mode (but it may become tricky), so better 30 Server USER CAL's.

Per Server Mode

Per Server mode is defined as follows:

• A separate Windows CAL (of either type) is required for each user or device that accesses or uses the server software on any of your servers. (This does not change the per server connection allowance of one CAL per one connection.)

• The number of Windows CALs required equals the maximum number of users or devices that may simultaneously access or use the server software running on a particular server. The Windows CALs you acquire are designated for use exclusively with a particular server.

• If you choose this licensing mode, you have a one-time right to switch to the other licensing mode—Per User/Per Device mode. Your Windows CALs (of either type) would then be used in Per User/Per Device mode instead.

Per Server mode tends to be the most economical designation for Windows CALs in computing environments where a small number of servers have limited access requirements.

So next is RDS CAL

There are PER DEVICE and PER USER - per device is when you have 30 people using 10 Computers and they do that in shifts. the you go per device because it is cheaper. OR

PER USER - if you have 30 USERS but 100 Computers those users access Terminal Server from. - then You need 30 PER USER CAL's.

In your case I guess all 30 USERS have 30 COMPUTERS. And at any particular time there will be max 10 connections - you will still have to go for 30 PER USER/OR PER DEVICE CAL's since Microsoft license is NOT concurent - means everyone will have to get a license. So 30 RDS CAL's.

You might do the Workgroup scenario but that would be too complex.

PubForum.net Founder, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:07 PM

All replies

• Ok lets split your question in three:

1) Sorry to disturb everyone with this stupid question, but I can't find anywhere the code to enable the 5 CAL that I have (i hve 5 per device and 5 per user, but the license is almost the same). I successfully installed the ts server and the licensing server, but at this point on the license itself I have only a tracking id that is 14 numbers, and other 2 alphanumeric codes of 8 chars. Can someone explain to me where I have to search for the right code to insert?

What you are looking at *Tracking ID" is most certainly CAL's for Windows Server itslef. Remote Desktop CAL are different kind of CAL's. You have to buy them additionally.
    RDS CAL 'packs usually have 25 letters/numbers code. If you have an enterprise agreement you have to enter that one whenadding licenses to your server.

2) Plus the win server 2008 should have already 5 cals inside, but there is no license on the paper that should contain them but only a paper with a custom space to write how many licenses per type.

That is correct http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/client-licensing.aspx

This one will give you answers to all of your questions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

3) Last question, can someone clarify the difference between user and device CAL? At the beginning I thought that per device was related at a singular precise machine, and user instead allows a tot number of user connected at the same time, regardless the identity of the user.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-terminal.aspx

Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licensing Mode

Remote Desktop Services CALs are available in Per User/Per Device mode only.

In Per User or Per Device mode, a separate RDS CAL is required for each user or device that accesses or uses the server software on any server. You may reassign a RDS CAL from one device to another device, or from one user to another user, provided the reassignment is made either (a) permanently away from the one device or user or (b) temporarily to accommodate the use of the RDS CAL either by a loaner device, while a permanent device is out of service, or by a temporary worker, while a regular employee is absent.

RDS CALs are not available in Per Server mode as RDS sessions or VMs are not allowed in Per Server mode. 

In general - you are good to go - you just need to buy RDS CAL's - they are like 70 USD per nose if I remember correctly.

PubForum.net Founder, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:24 PM
  • And some additional info about the types of RDS licenses:

"...There are four RDS licensing options to choose from, and which option you choose depends on how your company operates. The four RDS licens¬ing options are:

■ Per-User Licensing Each user that will use RDS role service(s) needs to have an RDS User CAL. Purchase RDS User CALs when your users will access RDS role service(s) from multiple machines. This model allows users to access RDS resources from any computer because the license is tied to the user, not the device. RDS Device CALs, conversely, are tied to the accessing device.
    ■ Per-Device Licensing Each device that will use RDS role service(s) needs to have an RDS Device CAL. Purchase RDS Device CALs when multiple users will access RDS role service(s) from a set number of client devices. A good example of when RDS Device CALs are the better choice is shift work—when multiple users at different times of the day will use one machine to access RDS resources. RDS Device CALs are also required to access pooled or personal VMs.
    ■ RDS External Connector This license option allows multiple external users (users who are not part of your company and for whom you do not provide licensing) to access one specific server. Each server accessed would need a license. For example, if you were going to license access to an RD Session Host server on one server, via RD Gateway on another server, you would need a license for both servers.
    ■Services Provider License Agreement (SPLA) This licensing is specifically for host¬ing providers and independent service
     vendors (ISVs) that host RDS and provide RDS access rights as part of their offering...."

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com/

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I'm a lot more confused, on the license I have: "Windows server 2008 CAL (5 devices)" how I suppose to use this ones? I couldn't find RDS CALs pack, basically I'm using a TS server, and I need to access the server with remote desktop connection. I'll try to look more into it, but is very weird that the licenses that I bought separately haven't have a key that I can use in the licensing server.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:43 PM
  • If you need to jus administer the server you have the possibility to establish 2 admin connections. Thats inclusive in the software.

If you want to publish applications for users then you need to buy RDS CAL's.

You have 120 days to find out whether you need RDS or not. Until then you can issue temporary licenses to your clients (well, your license server will).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770759.aspx

Remote Desktop for Administration

Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2

You can use Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration on a computer even if the RD Session Host role service is not installed on the computer. If the RD Session Host role service is not installed, This computer is configured for Remote Desktop for Administration will display in the results pane of Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.

The 5 CAL's you have are for client access to the server - what ever way - file shares, printers. Any client connect needs a CAL (generally speaking).

The following are limitations of Remote Desktop for Administration:

• The default connection (RDP-Tcp) only allows a maximum of two simultaneous remote connections.
    • Licensing settings cannot be configured.
    • RD Connection Broker settings cannot be configured.
    • User logon mode cannot be configured.

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:01 PM
  • But actually the terminal server is working just fine, and I need it because the clients have to connect there to do their jobs. My main question was to find out what kind of licenses I bought, because I'm starting to think that they are useless.

From your experience, I have to use this devices cals  some way (I mean insert their codes somewhere in the server or I have to keep the license and that's all)? I don't know if I can show you where I bought them, to be sure what kind of stuff I bought. Still I don't know where to watch to find useful information about this cals.

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:15 PM
  • unless you bought them around the corner from some dodgy person you should be fine :)

It is sometimes, with all the complexity of licensing, people sometimes does not understand the difference between CAL and RDS CAL and whatever else CAL is out there.

Wikipedia has the explanation in human language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_Access_License

Similar to Per Device and Per User Licensing in REMOTE DESKTOP SERVICES -Windows Server also have those two types of Licensing.

However, if you say that you need to give your clients access to your server via Terminal Server (Remote Desktop Server) then you need to buy RDS CAL. They are now available in quantities you need - for example 5. Prices differ but it is around 70 USD I believe. Just call the company you bought you Windows Server 2008 and ask for RDS CAL's (or Terminal Server CAL's) then you will get a code and you will be able to active it in seconds.

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Too bad, I think that I made a 200£ mistake, but I'm not a proper system administrator so I hope that they will not be too mad at me ^_^

Plus the total price for the licenses is around 700£ that is I think, more than what they want to pay. . . Thanks for your help.

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Last thing, so maybe this time I'm sure to do the right thing, I need to connect 10 users at the same time via remote desktop connection to the server. Is correct using a terminal server? If yes I need only the 10 RDS CALs? I have a pool of 30 users, but I have to allow only 10 of them to be connected at the same time, is correct to buy 10 users calls? or I have to buy devices cal?

Thanks for your time.

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:46 PM
  • How do you think you made a mitake? You need both Server CAL's and RDS CAL's so if you bought CAL's thats fine.
    Depending of what kind of a client that is you might get licenses cheaper (UNI campus for example, of Education etc.).

Yes, if you need to connect 10 users per Terminal Server then you need 10 Server CAL's + 10 RDS CAL's. The way it is calculated. But there is a catch!
    So if you will create active directory then you will need 30 Server USER CAL's (of if at no time there will be 30 sim connections at the same time you may live with 10 - that is mostly in a workgroup mode (but it may become tricky), so better 30 Server USER CAL's.

Per Server Mode

Per Server mode is defined as follows:

• A separate Windows CAL (of either type) is required for each user or device that accesses or uses the server software on any of your servers. (This does not change the per server connection allowance of one CAL per one connection.)

• The number of Windows CALs required equals the maximum number of users or devices that may simultaneously access or use the server software running on a particular server. The Windows CALs you acquire are designated for use exclusively with a particular server.

• If you choose this licensing mode, you have a one-time right to switch to the other licensing mode—Per User/Per Device mode. Your Windows CALs (of either type) would then be used in Per User/Per Device mode instead.

Per Server mode tends to be the most economical designation for Windows CALs in computing environments where a small number of servers have limited access requirements.

So next is RDS CAL

There are PER DEVICE and PER USER - per device is when you have 30 people using 10 Computers and they do that in shifts. the you go per device because it is cheaper. OR

PER USER - if you have 30 USERS but 100 Computers those users access Terminal Server from. - then You need 30 PER USER CAL's.

In your case I guess all 30 USERS have 30 COMPUTERS. And at any particular time there will be max 10 connections - you will still have to go for 30 PER USER/OR PER DEVICE CAL's since Microsoft license is NOT concurent - means everyone will have to get a license. So 30 RDS CAL's.

You might do the Workgroup scenario but that would be too complex.

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Alex thanks a lot for your help ^_^
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Hi there

I having some trouble installing my licences, I have one of those server thar are suplied with microsoft courses
    I got a server 2008 R2 std with a 5 pack cal
    I just dont find where to install then, the format of my cal dont fit the spaces

My key are

X16-XXXXX

and

WOXXXXXX-XXXX

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:53 PM