none
Server 2008 R2 licensing confusion...

Question

• Hello,

I've always been confused by Microsoft Licensing, and can't for the life of me figure this out.

I bought 2 eOpen licenses for Server 2008R2 Enterprise at the same time (through Dell when ordering some other stuff). When I log into the Volume Licensing Service Center, I see it listed with Qty of 2, but when I go into the 'Licensing and Keys' section, where I can download it, and see the keys, I only see one key (well, one MAK and one KMS, but I'm only using MAK).

I'm using these on 2 VMWare ESXi hosts.

So - do I just use the one MAK for all 8 of the VMs I spin up (assuming I install the max of 4 server instances per host per license), when activating?

Thanks,

Charles

• Edited by Libertytrek Monday, December 10, 2012 10:12 AM typo
    Monday, December 10, 2012 9:51 AM

Answers

• So - do I just use the one MAK for all 8 of the VMs I spin up (assuming I install the max of 4 server instances per host per license), when activating?

Yes, you can use your MAK for all of your licensed server installations:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793432.aspx

MAK = Multiple Activation Key, this means you can use the same key multiple times (up to your licensing limit)
    Retail keys, and OEM keys, do not permit this multiple use.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Libertytrek Monday, December 10, 2012 11:25 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hello, 

I suggest you see Matt's blog where he explained more about Licensing Windows Server in a Virtual Environment

If the above info doesn't solves your problem please contact Microsoft license team who give better solutions to all licensing related queries.

OS Licensing:

Thank you for understanding

Regards, Ravikumar P

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:31 AM
  • So - do I just use the one MAK for all 8 of the VMs I spin up (assuming I install the max of 4 server instances per host per license), when activating?

Yes, you can use your MAK for all of your licensed server installations:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793432.aspx

MAK = Multiple Activation Key, this means you can use the same key multiple times (up to your licensing limit)
    Retail keys, and OEM keys, do not permit this multiple use.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Libertytrek Monday, December 10, 2012 11:25 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Thanks Don...

Being able to use a single MAK for 2 server licenses is what threw me... but I guess it makes sense, seeing as you do the same thing when buying multiple licenses of Office, etc...

Thanks again!

Charles

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:26 AM