none
VPN & Synch issue between server and workstations

Question

• First, I hope this is the right forum for this question.  My question needs a preamble of how the network is setup.  Please bear with me here.

Two locations, and both using Netgear FVS318 VPN Firewall.  Both are connected via VPN (at least the router says the the VPN connections are established).  On the workstation, I can ping the server's IP:  192.168.0.250, but I can't pint it by it's name "server" (server is Win 2008 R2, all workstations are XP SP3).

The server cannot ping the workstation IP (192.168.2.4) nor by its hostname.

Workstation can get to shared folders on the server.  Workstation has no shared folders.

From the workstation, I can do \\server\shared\user and the user can see their files.  This is their My Documents since I've had folder redirection setup and it's been working well for about 2 years, up until now.

Workstation cannot do synchronization anymore with the users My Documents, so I have all these users working on their files offline (while the server isn't getting their updates).

Nothing has changed on the network or firewalls or VPN.  Just one or two sudden power outages in the past month.  Doesn't appear to have any consequences though - except this syncing problem.

Not even sure where to start on troubleshooting this.  I've done the regular stuff.  Redo VPN connections.  Shared out a new folder for specific users and made that their new My Documents - but synching still doesn't work.  Nothing on the firewall blocking stuff.

Anyone know what could possibly be going on?  And I really hope this is the correct form for this.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• Something here may help.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2009/03/17/remote-access-design-guidelines-part-4-ip-routing-and-dns.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Thanks.  Great article.  I think this will help alot.  I've also discovered that I think my cable modem isn't in "bridged" mode which is causing problems (working with ISP on this issue).  Thanks again.
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Good to hear it helps. You're welcome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Steve S3CC Friday, May 31, 2013 12:15 AM
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Good to hear it helps. You're welcome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thanks again Dave.  That article did help and also lead me down another path to look deeper into the situation.

As it turns out, my client needed to have a static IP address from Comcast.  Once that was established, the cable modem could be put into a bridge mode to the router.  Then I fixed up the VPN issues and it all works now.  And w/that, remote computers can ping each other and the server (and vice versa), access all network resources and all is good now.

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Good to hear its sorted.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:58 AM