Server 2008 R2 new install on Dell 2850

Question

• I am attempting a fresh install of server 2008 r2 on a dell 2850 and am running into an issue during the installation. As soon as the "windows is loading files" portion of the load is complete it goes to the green scroller and then to a BSOD with a stop code F4. I have updated the PERC firmware (4e/di) as well as the BMC firmware and the BIOS and nothing has made the difference so far. The server hardware appears to be fine as I just finished loading server 2003 on it and am using it to type this ;). Any suggestions as to how to get past the BSOD? What else should I be looking at?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The BSOD occurred while installing system are more related to hardware issue, please try to remove all unneeded hardware and install it again. By the way, you can use the installation disk to run Windows Memory Diagnostic to check whether there are any problem with the ram. You can also take out some memory to test whether the same issue continues.

If the issue continues, I recommend that you contact Dell for more information.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Tonyl02,

Thank you for posting in windows server forums,

i would like you to check if the hardware is compatible for installation of windows 2008 R2 server.

I would encourage you to go through the below link which gives you the hardware and device specification chart which assist you in installing appropriate hardware for windows 2008 R2

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

There are several recommendation:

1.    As Sainath, check the compatibility of your computer, I have seen some similar issue with hardware compatibility in this forum.

2.    Remove unwanted hardware.

3.    Make sure the installation disk is not corrupt.(You may download the ISO file from Microsoft’s website and burn it again with a slow speed)

If the issue continues, we need to analyze the crash dump file to narrow down the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately, it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, December 14, 2009 7:16 AM
  • I did just check the website for compatibility and I do not specifically see the poweredge 2850 on that list. I do see models that are older and newer than it on that list however. Where I did check was Dell's website and they mentioned that Server 2008 R2 was indeed supported on the PE2850. Here is the site where I found that information: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/osmatrix/index?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~ck=anavml.

Unfortunately when the BSOD occurs there is no place (that I'm aware of) for the crash dump to be placed as there is not yet an OS on the drives. I did perform a SHA1 check on the downloaded file and that all checks out fine. I did download the VL version as well to try that and it gets to the same spot so I suspect its hanging up on some piece of hardware. Do you guys have any other advice on what to try to get past this?

Thanks for your help thus far,
    Tony
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

The BSOD occurred while installing system are more related to hardware issue, please try to remove all unneeded hardware and install it again. By the way, you can use the installation disk to run Windows Memory Diagnostic to check whether there are any problem with the ram. You can also take out some memory to test whether the same issue continues.

If the issue continues, I recommend that you contact Dell for more information.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:53 AM
  • I have successfully installed 2008 R2 EE on two machines.  I did run into an issue with one of them (but not the other) - it would appear to be an incompatible DVD drive.  As strange as it sounds, I could install 2003 and 2008 non-R2 with no problems, but it would hang at the spot you described.  Make sure you have the PERC driver from support.dell.com (sounds like you have).  If you have another DVD drive, try it.  The drive I had problems with is a TEAC DV-28E, Dell PN W3131.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 5:56 AM
  • I installed win2008r2 on a dell 2850 with a perc 4i card.
    No problem at all.
    I found some issues to find the right driver for the perc card.

write to me: i can send you the files
    marco_melli@hotmail.com

cheers.
    Marco
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:55 PM
  • Hi there,

installing PE2850 with "Systems Management Tools and Documentation" DVD will provide all driver by pre-install!

Dell DVD ISO - Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=17861&libid=36&releaseid=R250023&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_PNT_P3C_2850&servicetag=&os=WS8R2&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

Download all ISO file segments into an empty subdirectory on your local hard drive. After you have downloaded all the file segments, run the following command to create the ISO file: copy /b OM* OM_620_SMTD_A00.iso [Windows]; cat OM* > OM_620_SMTD_A00.iso [Linux]

Regards,
    Rodger
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:59 PM