none
Server 2012 and long paths (260 chars limit)

Question

• Hi,

I think you know the 260 chars limit in a path.

I dreamed Windows 8 and Server 2012 stop that very old limit, but it seems not...

I tried to create folders with a path greater than 260 chars, and I obtain the error "the path is too long".

But, with alternate explorer as 7-Zip File Manager (9.22), there are few problems with long paths (I can create or copy files into a 400 chars path for example) into the File Manager (but with compression program, limitation is).

How to deal with that limit, without using \\?\ paths ?

Also, why in 2013 Windows has that limit ?

Thank you ;)

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The maximum length of the host name and of the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) is 63 octets per label and 64 characters per FQDN. The latter is based on the maximum path length possible with an Active Directory Domain name with the paths needed in SYSVOL, and this needs to obey to the 260 character MAX_PATH limitation.

To fix the issue, you may need to reduce the length of the path. For example, move the folder so it has a shorter path or shorten the file name.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft articles:

Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264/en-us

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:24 AM
  • No, the limit is not due to Active Directory, the limit is due to how Windows is designed. If you want technical details of it, read the following two articles:

As for future versions of Windows - your guess is as good as anyone else's unfortunately, there aren't details about whether a change for this will be in the next version or not.

Using long paths without "\\?\" is not possible and is not consistently implemented when using "\\?\" so there's no 'good' answer other than to work around the design which as given above means either:

• Educating your users;
    • Shortening file paths; or
    • Creating deep link shares.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• you can do this through script as mentioned here in this link follow it 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/nl/winserverpowershell/thread/6e30b17b-1f05-4ad2-b1f4-161a9b05ec56

http://www.arabitpro.com

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:14 AM
  • For myself, I can use scripts or 7-Zip File Manager, ok.

But for users connected to the server, I can't ask them "please use command line"...

Please, do you know how to bypass that limit directly with Windows Explorer, that is used by users (and me too) ? The real problem is here.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Follow the link given, there's a workaround in there for general users creating a share at a deep point in the directory structure.
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:03 PM
  • I already read that, but it don't solve the problem at all...

Example : we obtain more chars, but not 400 or 1000 or more.

So, I am clear : do you know if a real fix exist, to use 32000 chars mode ?

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

The maximum length of the host name and of the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) is 63 octets per label and 64 characters per FQDN. The latter is based on the maximum path length possible with an Active Directory Domain name with the paths needed in SYSVOL, and this needs to obey to the 260 character MAX_PATH limitation.

To fix the issue, you may need to reduce the length of the path. For example, move the folder so it has a shorter path or shorten the file name.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft articles:

Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264/en-us

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:24 AM
  • Thank you for details ;)

It means that limit is due to Active Directory limit ?

So, no real issue for Server 2012 or Windows 8 to use long paths ?

And, what about future Windows ?

Monday, January 21, 2013 12:14 PM
  • No, the limit is not due to Active Directory, the limit is due to how Windows is designed. If you want technical details of it, read the following two articles:

As for future versions of Windows - your guess is as good as anyone else's unfortunately, there aren't details about whether a change for this will be in the next version or not.

Using long paths without "\\?\" is not possible and is not consistently implemented when using "\\?\" so there's no 'good' answer other than to work around the design which as given above means either:

• Educating your users;
    • Shortening file paths; or
    • Creating deep link shares.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Thank you.

Now I understand it's more complex than I thought.

So I am aware that limit exist, why, and I know how to work around that.

Thank you again.

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:56 PM