none
where i can download boot.wim?

Answers

• The winpe.wim in the Windows AIK does not include the setup binaries required for a full WDS deployment. In order to incorporate the end-to-end WDS in your environment, you will need Windows Vista.

You can run a network install by adding imagex.exe to a custom WinPE image, booting from your WDS server to this WinPE image, and then copying a .WIM file across from a network share and applying it with ImageX.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:45 PM
  • You will find the file boot.wim in the folder "sources" of DVD of the Windows Vista...

Thanks...

Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:54 PM

All replies

• You can download WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=81030. It containts among other things boot.wim which you can use.

Or from the Longhorn installation DVD if you have one of those.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:00 PM
  • The winpe.wim in the Windows AIK does not include the setup binaries required for a full WDS deployment. In order to incorporate the end-to-end WDS in your environment, you will need Windows Vista.

You can run a network install by adding imagex.exe to a custom WinPE image, booting from your WDS server to this WinPE image, and then copying a .WIM file across from a network share and applying it with ImageX.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:45 PM
  •  Jez Sadler - MS wrote:

The winpe.wim in the Windows AIK does not include the setup binaries required for a full WDS deployment. In order to incorporate the end-to-end WDS in your environment, you will need Windows Vista.

I kind of figured that part out (WAIK boot.wim) later on when I tried to boot. Luckly I had a Longhorn DVD nearby to extract the image from. But how do you do if you have a w2k3+sp2 and install wds there and lets say that you dont have a longhorn/vista dvd to extract the boot.wim from. Are you forced to use the WAIK boot.wim + imagex as you said above?
    Friday, March 23, 2007 10:30 AM
  • You will find the file boot.wim in the folder "sources" of DVD of the Windows Vista...

Thanks...

Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:54 PM
  • Hello,

I have downloaded the boot.wim file from my Vista DVD and uploaded it as a boot image within the WDS Management Console.  I can PXE boot to this boot image but I am given the error message that I do not have any drivers loaded for my network device.  I attempted to modify the boot.wim file and load my .inf drivers using imagex but the boot.wim images has already been preped and cannot be modified.  I have my own PE file with drivers already loaded but that was from the WAIK toolkit and does not support the GUI WDS deployment like the Vista boot.wim does.  Is there a way to either modify the Vista boot.wim file to include my drivers or modify my PE copy to include the GUI WDS deployement?

Dalton Jackson

BlackBox Data Solutions, LLC

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:08 PM
  • I have the exact problem as above. I can create a PE boot however it doesn't load the GUI for the WDS bit. I also cant modify the boot.wim from the Vista DVD. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:32 PM
  • If you still need to get this file, the free download of Windows 7 beta contains it.

GL!
    • Proposed as answer by Nytelyte Friday, January 23, 2009 10:16 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:01 PM