none
Group Policy Preferences - TCP/IP Printer Installation - Driver settings lost

Question

• I'm setting up a print environment for about 100 client machine in an AD environment. Ideally, I don't want to have to rely on the print server beyond driver installation. Every printer we have is a networked Dell printer. The printers all install fine when I install them via GPO Preferences -> TCP/IP and use the Print Server shares as references. However, the drivers all seem to *not* take the settings that are configured on the print server, and instead revert to default settings. This is a major problem because things like duplexing are lost during installation. Changing the default settings of the print driver itself might not be too helpful since we have multiple printers of the same model on the network that may be configured differently from one another.

Monday, June 20, 2011 9:01 PM

Answers

• I don't think Group Policy Preferences takes any settings from printer when you add TCP Printers.  The server pointer is just to get the driver files for adding the local printer.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:19 PM

All replies

• I don't think Group Policy Preferences takes any settings from printer when you add TCP Printers.  The server pointer is just to get the driver files for adding the local printer.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:19 PM
  • I was just again looking into this today and found my old post. TCP Printers carrying over settings is still on my Server 8 wish list. :)

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:49 PM
  • This is not a printing feature.  The group policy team own this stuff.  Install the Server version of the Windows 8 consumer preview.  If the group policy team added this it would be there.  If not, you can ask them to include in the next Windows after 8.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:07 AM