none
All Windows XP issue with Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller

Question

• Hi,

Recently we faced the issue on all(approx. more than 100) Windows XP with SP3 systems having Windows 2008 R2 Std domain controller at specific site. (2 ADC's running on VM)

Issue Description:

• All windows XP 3 could not access services internet explorer interminently. (Internet/SAP Application/Intranet Portal)
    • When the XP systems are rebooted it works for 10-15 mins and then again the same issue
    • Observed all other applications on different server on the LAN networks are unable to connect using this Windows XP systems.

Observations:

• We could see "common" event ID on all windows XP systems lsasrv 49060 & 49061
    • UNC could be accessed from Windows XP systems vice-versa.
    • All other Windows 7 Pro./Ent. machine are not facing any issues and working fine.
    • Authentication related(Kerbores) issues with different machines(DC/ISA/Application Srv) logged in event id 49060.
    • Checked if the users account were locked out but wasn't.

Troubleshooting step taken: 

• Server ping/name resolution/UNC access to DC/Appl./ISA servers were working fine during the issue from affected Windows XP systems.
    • Tried Disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus services and process as well but issue still persist.
    • On Domain controllers NO Critical events logged in regards to authentication from Windows XP clients.
    • Followed KB244474 but the issue still occurred.

Issue Resolved.

Rebooted both the domain controller(Windows 2008 R2 Std. Edition) one after another on that particular site and Windows XP systems were not facing any issues further till now. (Also observed the event are not logged)

I would like to know the root cause for the above issue. Also let me know if there are any references/known issues in regards to above scenario.

- Charles Derber

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 17, 2012 7:10 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3))
    • Edited by Charles Derber Monday, September 17, 2012 2:01 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,

lets start with an uneditd ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS servers and a machine with problems.

Are the clients installed from an image/clone that is NOT prepared with sysprep?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Hello Charles, 

Make sure that all your XP workstations are up-to-date with latest patches and security updates.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I updated one more observation which for I forget to mention earlier. No-3

DNS settings are fine @client as well as on DNS servers. (see my troubleshooting steps point no-1)

The Windows XP weren't installed from an image/clone but manually.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

While troubleshooting the issue I did observed few clients(Windows XP with SP3 till 09092012) system were updated until I rebooted the server(Windows 2008 R2).

FYI...No changes were done on the server in regards to system files/windows update/appl installation. 

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved by rebooting your DC one after another. Regarding to the root cause, as you said that, some of your clients were not updated, it seems like network caused update not occur. Would you mind me marking your last reply as answer?

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hi Yan,

Surprised to see you marking my comment as answer because I was expecting some points/scenarios/known issues if any until I had to rebooted both the domain controllers.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hi Yan,

Surprised to see you marking my comment as answer because I was expecting some points/scenarios/known issues if any until I had to rebooted both the domain controllers.

You only confirmed that issue has been resolved just by rebooting the servers. What else were you expecting ?

Yan even asked whether to mark your reply as answer or not and you didnt reply on time ! If you still feel that, your reply is not the answer, please unmark that. I dont think, you will get any further replies on this thread.

Thanks !

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry that I couldn't reply on time.

Anyway I was looking for any other cause than domain controllers. (reboot)

Am Ok if I don't see any further replies on this thread as I was hoping to find any alternate cause as mentioned above if any, Thanks!

- Charles Derber

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Hello,

still waiting for the requested output, please help us to help you and provide informations.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hi Meinolf,

I guess replied above to your query earlier.

Client IP - from DHCP Server
    DHCP server DNS scope - Had both DNS server in sequence
    Client cmd resolution - able to resolve the DNS server
    Client when ran \\UNCpathofAnySystem - works fine.

The windows xp systems OS are installed manually and not from image/sysprep except Windows 7 OS Systems.

The issue hasn't reproduce when occurred since last time.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hello,

there is no unedited ipconfig /all included.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:01 PM