ping not answer but nslookup resolve

Question

• Hello,

I have one DC server on Windows 2008 Server and on the same machine is DNS server. I turn off firewall and turn off IPv6 and check a lot of configuration but is still not good.

I have strange situation in my LAN: when I use ping to server by FQDN name (without dot at the end) I get message that host doesn't exists but if i use nslookup everything is oki.

PING with other hosts in LAN and outside works normally. Every stages and server use the same DNS.

Maybe someone has any idea of it? 

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:48 AM

Answers

• OK, Marcin, the fact that the error message you received with PING ('Destination Host Unreachable') means that the name resolved to an IP that your system is unable to reach (based on routing).  Look at the IP address that it resolved to.  Either your computer or the next hop (router) is reporting that this IP is unreachable. 

However, since you are able to access it by NETBIOS name and FQDN (wih the trailing dot) means that your Host Name (DNS) and NetBIOS name resolution systems are working. 

The problem is probably related to the fact that something is wrong with your computer's DNS suffix.   Look closey at the screen when you using the PING command and FQDN without the dot at the end.  Is your computer appending something else to the FQDN?

RUN IPCONFIG /ALL --> Does the settings look correct (especially with the domain suffix that was assigned to your computers)?

A response from PING of "Ping Could Not Find server.domain.com" would have meant that the computer was unable to resolve the name using DNS or NetBIOS.  For this reason, I beleive your NetBIOS name resolution and Host Name resolution is working.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, May 31, 2010 2:39 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Now I would like to confirm the following questions:

1. Can we ping to DC on any other workstation? Does this issue occur on all workstations?

2. Can we ping to DC with IP address?

Now please type ipconfig /flushdns to purge the DNS resolver cache, then type  ipconfig /registerdns on one workstation. Does it work?

If the problem continues, please take the time to collect the following informations:

Info1: Network Traffic log
    ===================
    Download and install Wireshark on the DC and one workstation.

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Run it and start capture. Please ping to DC with server name on the workstation. When the error message shows up, then stop capture.

Note: We need to run Wireshark on both sides.

Please send the two files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Can you ping the server by NetBIOS name and FQDN (server.domain.com)? Please past the IPCONFIG/ALL result here. 

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Ping using name resolution processes local to the computer, but NSLOOKUP uses the DNS service on the name server you connected to.

In regards to the PING error message...what was it?  "Request Timed Out", "Destination Host Unreachable", "Ping Could Not Find server.domain.com"?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:08 PM
  • At first thanks for all answers.

1. I have error message 'Destination Host Unreachable'.

2. I can ping the server by NetBios name but I can not using FQDN.

3. This situation is on all workstations (all have Win XP).

4. We can ping by IP address.

5. RegisterDNS is working correctly.

Additional information: when I put dot at the end of FQDN name then PING is work.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:09 AM
  • OK, Marcin, the fact that the error message you received with PING ('Destination Host Unreachable') means that the name resolved to an IP that your system is unable to reach (based on routing).  Look at the IP address that it resolved to.  Either your computer or the next hop (router) is reporting that this IP is unreachable. 

However, since you are able to access it by NETBIOS name and FQDN (wih the trailing dot) means that your Host Name (DNS) and NetBIOS name resolution systems are working. 

The problem is probably related to the fact that something is wrong with your computer's DNS suffix.   Look closey at the screen when you using the PING command and FQDN without the dot at the end.  Is your computer appending something else to the FQDN?

RUN IPCONFIG /ALL --> Does the settings look correct (especially with the domain suffix that was assigned to your computers)?

A response from PING of "Ping Could Not Find server.domain.com" would have meant that the computer was unable to resolve the name using DNS or NetBIOS.  For this reason, I beleive your NetBIOS name resolution and Host Name resolution is working.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, May 31, 2010 2:39 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:04 PM