none
Did an windows update, now no network?

Question

• Hi there,

I did a windows update which all updates failed and it asked me to restart. Now started into Windows server 2008 and I can see the network adapters, all working, just can't get any network connectivity. ipconfig says there is no network devices.

It's not a hardware issue.

Please help as this is our mail server.

Thank you

Calum MacRae

Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Calum,

In addition, have you checked Device Manager? Can you see any Network Adapters listed there?

You can try to reinstall your NIC or try to update the drivers and see how it works.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Keeping the fact that the drivers Interface drivers are latest , you can uninstall and re-install the driver ( this would re-register the Physical device object , registers the Device ID )

Alternate :

check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

you should be able to see the GUID registered with the IP addresses you have configured for your NICs

Perform Netsh interface ipv4 reset which should reset the interface- restart the server and provide the IP address

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:42 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

I did a windows update which all updates failed and it asked me to restart. Now started into Windows server 2008 and I can see the network adapters, all working, just can't get any network connectivity. ipconfig says there is no network devices.

It's not a hardware issue.

Please help as this is our mail server.

Thank you

Calum MacRae

Sunday, April 07, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Hello Cal,
    read this TechNet Forums post: Windows Server Will Not Start Services After Update.

And then:

• Did you check all Services (Core) are started ?
    • Did you check on Event Viewer for any error regarding the adapter of service it depends on ?

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 7:55 PM
  • I'd agree I'd start with the system event logs. Also has the update readiness tool been run without error?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool?SignedIn=1

Then check the
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    file for errors.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Mail server? Exchange 2007 or 2010, or a third party SMTP service?

Is this a domain controller, too?

Did you perform a backup (System State and full file backup) prior to trying to install the updates? If so, you can restore from your backup.

I recommend in the future to disable any antivirus or other third party security applications prior to running any updates.

-

If this is truly Windows Update related, you can also call Microsoft Support. Any issues with Windows Updates is a free support call.
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Monday, April 08, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Hi Calum,

In addition, have you checked Device Manager? Can you see any Network Adapters listed there?

You can try to reinstall your NIC or try to update the drivers and see how it works.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Hi Calum,

To avoid confusion, let’s focus on the same thread.

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Keeping the fact that the drivers Interface drivers are latest , you can uninstall and re-install the driver ( this would re-register the Physical device object , registers the Device ID )

Alternate :

check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

you should be able to see the GUID registered with the IP addresses you have configured for your NICs

Perform Netsh interface ipv4 reset which should reset the interface- restart the server and provide the IP address

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:42 AM
  • Hello,
    Cal opened this thread too: Did an windows update, now no network?

As I posted on link above:

Read this TechNet Forums post: Windows Server Will Not Start Services After Update.
    And then:

• Did you check all Services (Core) are started ?
    • Did you check on Event Viewer for any error regarding the adapter of service it depends on ?

Cal, is yours a Virtual Machine ?

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:41 PM