none
Upgrade/Migration Windows server 2003 32 bit to windows server 2012

Question

• Hi,

I have 32 bit windows server 2003. I would like to migrate windows server 2012. I found adprep (upgrading schema) of windows server 2012 supports 64 bit operating system only, so i am stuck now. Is it any way to directly upgrade/migration from 32 bit windows server 2003 to 2012. Or any other alternate way of steps.

Regards,

JMC

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

"what i understand is I don't want to run adprep command under 32 bit windows server 2003. right?" Correct, no need for nor technically possible.

"According to your article after all this installation just transfer FSMO role to this windows server 2012, right?" IF you have checked the domain with command line tools dcdiag, repadmin, ADREPLSTATUS(GUI version) and DNSLint for errors transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC.

BEFORE demoting the server follow this steps:

- reconfigure your clients/servers that they not longer point to the old DC/DNS server on the NIC

- to be sure that everything runs fine, disconnect the old DC from the network and check with clients and servers the connectivity, logon and also with one client a restart to see that everything is ok

- then run dcpromo to demote the old DC, if it works fine the machine will move from the DC's OU to the computers container, where you can delete it by hand. Can be that you got an error during demoting at the beginning, then uncheck the Global catalog on that DC and try again

- check the DNS management console, that all entries from the machine are disappeared or delete them by hand if the machine is off the network for ever

- also you have to start AD sites and services and delete the old server name under the site, this will not be done during demotion

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Joby M Chacko Monday, April 29, 2013 10:17 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hello,

so replication is checked and also you can confirm taht SYSVOL/NETLOGON folders exist on the new DC and contains the information as on the old DC?

Then transfer the FSMO roles, there is no downtime for or reboot required.

Do NOT forget to reconfigure the time service on the old/new PDCEmulator.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Hi Franky,

You dont want to run adprep command under windows server 2003. ( that is the beauty of windows server 2012).

after upgrade transfer FSMO role to new domain,

Configure DNS before transfer FSMO to new server.

If you have dhcp server in old domain, configure new DHCP server under new domain ( it is important for client machine connectivity )

• Marked as answer by Joby M Chacko Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi JMC,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

It'll be OK to migrate 32bit Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012.

The information in the thread below might be helpful to you:

Migrate AD from 2003 to 2012 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/3f0062c8-80b1-4322-8a15-6529289fcc4b/

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:38 AM
  • Hello,

please see here about upgrading the domain http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2012/07/30/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-or-windows-server-2003-r2-to-windows-server-2012.aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:07 AM
  • Kevin,

I went through that link, none of them explained about the window server 2003 32 bit problem.

The link below is useful for creating an additional domain, Thanks to Meinolf Weber

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2012/07/30/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-or-windows-server-2003-r2-to-windows-server-2012.aspx

"To install a new OS Domain Controller running adprep is required and it is located in the Windows server 2012 installation disk …\support\adprep folder. Here you can also find the schema files. You will realize that there is ONLY adprep.exe and not adprep32.exeanymore. This belongs to the reason that adprep process on earlier OS domains is done automatically during promotion to a Domain Controller.

If you run adprep.exe on 32bit OS Domain Controllers you will see an error message:"

In the above paragraph, that article is making me more confused.

Here it is not explained that you have to transfer the FSMO roles to the new domain.

I read another article. there he did migrate windows server 2003 32 bit to windows server 2008 R2,

because R2 has both adprep32.exe for the 32 bit OS and adprep.exe for the 64 bit OS.

He ran adprep32.exe on windows server 2003 32 bit OS, after that he moved all FSMO roles to 2008.

After that he migrated to windows 2012.

If there is any difference of opinion, please reply.

Regards,

Joby

• Edited by Joby M Chacko Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:31 PM update
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Hello,

of course you can first upgrade the domain to Windows server 2008 R2 BUT WHY? Follow my article and you can go directly to Windows server 2012.

There is NO in-place upgrade possible from Windows server 2003 32bit to Windows server 2008 R2 or higher as the OS version is 64bit ONLY. You MUST add an additional DC to the existing domain and that can be 64biot without any problem.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

You are right, I can add additional domain in an existing domain, through this way i can create additional Global Catalog server, but FSMO roles is still in old domain controller. If we didnt move FSMO role from old domain to new domain/ additional domain, it is not a complete migration. For migrating the domain controller, we must run adprep command to old domain,  

Copy adprep folder from windows server 2012 and paste to 32 bit windows server 2003.

and do the following.

before doing this, raise forest functional level and domain functional level. then

Use the adprep /forestprep command to update the Windows Server 2003  Active Directory schema for Windows Server 2012.
    • You run this command only once in the forest.
    • Run this command on the domain controller that holds the schema operations master role for the forest.
    • You must be a member of all the following groups to run this command:
      • Enterprise Admins group
      • Schema Admins group
      • The Domain Admins group of the domain that hosts the schema master

Use the adprep /domainprep command to prepare a domain for a Windows Server 2012 domain controller.
    • Run this command on the domain controller that holds the infrastructure operations master role for the domain. 

I am not able to run adprep command under windows server 2003 32 bit..

"If you run adprep.exe on 32bit OS Domain Controllers you will see an error message:"  

without running adprep command or without preparing schema and domain master , how can i move schema master and domain naming master of 32 bit windows server 2003  to windows server 2012.

I just wonder, without doing above command, am i able to move this roles to new domain???

Regards,

Joby

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hello,

"we must run adprep command to old domain,"

This is INCORRECT, after adding the Windows server 2012 as member server to the domain you use the wizard to install AD on the Windows server 2012 and that way adprep is run automatically on the Windows server 2003 DC, doesn't matter if 32/64bit. Please read my article complete about.

It works WITHOUT running adprep first on the old OS DC!!!

"controller. If we didnt move FSMO role from old domain to new domain/ additional domain, it is not a complete migration"

Can be done if you follow my article to add the new OS DC to the existing domain.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Hi Meinolf,

Thanks for posting.

what i understand is I don't want to run adprep command under 32 bit windows server 2003. right?

no need to prepare forest and domain?

I will give you my situation, please just give me the guidance.

I installed windows 2012 server and run AD role , join to the existing domain and forest.

All the users and computer info replicated. Now this server is also GC.

According to your article after all this installation just transfer FSMO role to this windows server 2012, right? and demote to old DC.

waiting for your reply....

Regards,

Joby

• Edited by Joby M Chacko Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:46 PM update info
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Hello,

"what i understand is I don't want to run adprep command under 32 bit windows server 2003. right?" Correct, no need for nor technically possible.

"According to your article after all this installation just transfer FSMO role to this windows server 2012, right?" IF you have checked the domain with command line tools dcdiag, repadmin, ADREPLSTATUS(GUI version) and DNSLint for errors transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC.

BEFORE demoting the server follow this steps:

- reconfigure your clients/servers that they not longer point to the old DC/DNS server on the NIC

- to be sure that everything runs fine, disconnect the old DC from the network and check with clients and servers the connectivity, logon and also with one client a restart to see that everything is ok

- then run dcpromo to demote the old DC, if it works fine the machine will move from the DC's OU to the computers container, where you can delete it by hand. Can be that you got an error during demoting at the beginning, then uncheck the Global catalog on that DC and try again

- check the DNS management console, that all entries from the machine are disappeared or delete them by hand if the machine is off the network for ever

- also you have to start AD sites and services and delete the old server name under the site, this will not be done during demotion

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

I configured DNS,DHCP server under windows server 2012. DNS is replicated from old domain controller. 

When i configured DHCP I add DNS info of both domain. so clients will get both dns info when they get IP address from dhcp

Every thing is working fine.

But I didnt Transfer FSMO role like Schema master, domain naming master, RID, PDC & infrastucture from windows server 2003 to 2012. After moving this, then only i will get satisfaction

May I transfer this role now?

Regards,

Joby

• Edited by Joby M Chacko Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:35 PM edit
    • Unmarked as answer by Joby M Chacko Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Hello,

so replication is checked and also you can confirm taht SYSVOL/NETLOGON folders exist on the new DC and contains the information as on the old DC?

Then transfer the FSMO roles, there is no downtime for or reboot required.

Do NOT forget to reconfigure the time service on the old/new PDCEmulator.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:46 AM
  • after transfer FSMO everything is working fine. I checked sysol folders, everything is replicated. after transfer FSMO roles turn on both machine 1 hour, it will replicate every files from old to new domain.

Once again thanks Meinolf for your time

Monday, April 29, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

i dont want to start a new threa because this hits my problem.

We want to upgrade a windows server 2003 to bring in a new 2012 server.

We put the 2012 into the domain checked the old server(no errors, all is fine), we upgraded the forest/domain level to 2003

but every time we start the adprep we get the problem that we have the wrong type but we upgraded as you can see above here.

I dont know how to handle this because i dont find any other tips

Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

We put the 2012 into the domain checked the old server(no errors, all is fine), we upgraded the forest/domain level to 2003

but every time we start the adprep we get the problem that we have the wrong type but we upgraded as you can see above here.

Hello,

please start w new thread for this and add the complete error message you get " that we have the wrong type "

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:52 PM
  • after transfer FSMO everything is working fine. I checked sysol folders, everything is replicated. after transfer FSMO roles turn on both machine 1 hour, it will replicate every files from old to new domain.

@Joby M Chacko

After transfering all FSMO roles did you face any problems with clients that are Windows XP SP2 or 3.

How did you verify replication service is working on DNS and DHCP

What information need to be checked in SYSVOL before and after transfering FSMO roles.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Hi Franky,

You dont want to run adprep command under windows server 2003. ( that is the beauty of windows server 2012).

If you have dhcp server in old domain, configure new DHCP server under new domain ( it is important for client machine connectivity )

• Marked as answer by Joby M Chacko Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

Hi Franky,

• Marked as answer by Joby M Chacko Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:09 PM

@Joby M Chacko

After transfering all FSMO roles did you face any problems with clients that are Windows XP SP2 or 3.

How did you verify replication service is working on DNS and DHCP

What information need to be checked in SYSVOL before and after transfering FSMO roles.

hi,

No, I didn't face any problems

How did you verify replication service is working on DNS and DHCP?

stopped the old dhcp server and reconfigure new dhcp server under new domain. when you reconfigure dhcp

give new dns info, gateway etc.

DNS server,

DNS server will replicate after you install DNS role. just wait 5 minute after install dns role, then extract DNS, you will see the same record as old domain

dont forget to Put old domain ip address under DNS settings (for replicating dns record purpose, after replicate you can remove) and new domain ip address as well.

under system 32 folder -> Check sysvol folder -> exact info of old domain will be there.

Joby

• Marked as answer by Joby M Chacko Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:11 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

have you changed the Domain Functional Level and how

after demoting of Windows 2003 machine did your domain functional level automatically changes to Windows 2012 or have you done it manually.

even i have shutoff the Windows 2003 machine for more than 2 hours. The below status is still the same

Secondly, on Windows 2012 > Active Directory domains & trust > Right click > change Active Directory.. >

The status of Windows 2012 DC is showing unavailable  

• Edited by srsiddiqui Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:18 AM update
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

have you changed the Domain Functional Level and how

after demoting of Windows 2003 machine did your domain functional level automatically changes to Windows 2012 or have you done it manually.

even i have shutoff the Windows 2003 machine for more than 2 hours. The below status is still the same

Secondly, on Windows 2012 > Active Directory domains & trust > Right click > change Active Directory.. >

The status of Windows 2012 DC is showing unavailable  

Hi,

bit confused about above question. both forest functional level and domain functional level raise to 2003 mode in old dc. after that only start transition process. this i have to do manually.

I moved schema master, domain master,pdc,rid and infrastructure before demoting the domain controller. I did this everything manually."FSMO roles will not move automatically from old DC to new DC" Only active directory info will move like user names, computer info and DNS info until if you installed DNS role in new domain

second one:

go to Active directory Domain & Trust of windows server 2012 -> right click -> click operation master -> " their you can see 2012 dc" click change. 

After that only domain operation master move from old DC to new DC.

I hope you know that how to move rest of the roles from old dc to new dc.

I am afraid that , did you demote your old domain controller before moving your all FSMO roles to new dc?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:37 PM
  • after demoting of Windows 2003 machine did your domain functional level automatically changes to Windows 2012 or have you done it manually.

bit confused about above question. both forest functional level and domain functional level raise to 2003 mode in old dc. after that only start transition process. this i have to do manually.

there is no need to be confused. Your forest and domain functional level set to 2003 or 2012.

As i have moved all FSMO roles to Windows 2012 DC and the Windows 2003 machine is off for the past 24 hours but my forest/domain functional level shown on Windows 2012 is Windows 2003

Which i assume it should be raised to Windows 2012.

I didnt demote my Windows 2003 machine just made it offline.

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:24 AM
  • hope below thread will help you

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverMigration/thread/4cd6b781-3717-4777-89d3-768547e035bb

and please update this will help you or not.

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Yes it answered my query now i have to demote my Windows 2003 DC and than check whether i can raise Forest/Domain Functional level or not.

All will be done in lab environment

Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:50 AM
  • dont forget to remove global catelouge record from the active directory sites. 
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Yes i have removed the old server from Site and Services
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:21 AM