none
Problem with SYSVOL and NETLOGON on secondary DC...

Question

• Hi

I have some trouble with 2 DCs. Both servers are running fully patched versions of Server 2008 R2 (with SP1).

The problem I have is that the contents of the SYSVOL folders are not replicating properly
    between the 2.

I have tried to make a 3rd DC to see the result. It is the same problem.
    The servers are called DC00, DC01 and DC02.

The DC00 has shared the SYSVOL and NETLOGON.
    But the DC01 and DC02 does not show the SYSVOL and NETLOGON.

I need some help to solve this...

Regards
    Kim

Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This can have multiple causes...

Check the file replication services event logs on your DCs for more info.

K

Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hello,

You also can try to install the Active Directory Replication Status Tool 

The Active Directory Replication Status Tool (ADREPLSTATUS) analyzes the replication status for domain controllers in an Active Directory domain or forest. ADREPLSTATUS displays data in a format that is similar to REPADMIN /SHOWREPL * /CSV imported into Excel but with significant enhancements.

greetings to computacenter Benelux :)

regards,

Philipp Halbedel

MCP 2003,MCITP EA Server 2008,MCITP EA Windows 7,MCSA2008,MCSA2012 

Meine Antwort war hilfreich? ich freu mich über eine Bewertung. If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating! 

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Hello,

i often have seen not correct replicated sysvol and netlogon shares if the new machines use themselves on the NIC as DNS server even if they where NOT DNS server during promotion. In your case make your life easy and demote the problem DC and promote them again using ONLY the existing DC/DNS server on the NIC as preferred DNS and NONE else.

Wait and check replication again with repadmin and check also with dcdiag BEFORE adding another DC if required, sounds the 3rde one was for testing only.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This can have multiple causes...

Check the file replication services event logs on your DCs for more info.

K

Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hello,

You also can try to install the Active Directory Replication Status Tool 

The Active Directory Replication Status Tool (ADREPLSTATUS) analyzes the replication status for domain controllers in an Active Directory domain or forest. ADREPLSTATUS displays data in a format that is similar to REPADMIN /SHOWREPL * /CSV imported into Excel but with significant enhancements.

greetings to computacenter Benelux :)

regards,

Philipp Halbedel

MCP 2003,MCITP EA Server 2008,MCITP EA Windows 7,MCSA2008,MCSA2012 

Meine Antwort war hilfreich? ich freu mich über eine Bewertung. If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating! 

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Greetings back to Germany...

The replication status tool is nice but i have had 2 cases where it dit not report errors but there where replication issues...

it check the AD replication but apparently not sysvol...

Kurt

Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Hello,

i often have seen not correct replicated sysvol and netlogon shares if the new machines use themselves on the NIC as DNS server even if they where NOT DNS server during promotion. In your case make your life easy and demote the problem DC and promote them again using ONLY the existing DC/DNS server on the NIC as preferred DNS and NONE else.

Wait and check replication again with repadmin and check also with dcdiag BEFORE adding another DC if required, sounds the 3rde one was for testing only.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 5:40 PM