none
WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard Database Error

Question

• I am having difficulties finishing the cleanup Wizard at one of my sites.  I searched here and found a post saying to run 2,3,4 an5 first and then run 1 Unused updates and update revisions.  That worked great and finished in no time.

However when I go back to run number one again (for the 7th or 8th time), I get:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The statement has been terminated.

Source

.Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventArgs e)

Any ideas?  This is also a Domain Controller so cannot be rebooted except with permission.

Update,

I followed the recommended process 2,3,4,5 first and then 1 on another server and that was fine, no errors.

No way of knowing thogh whether it ws because i didn't run all first.  i will reboot the server with the error when I get a chance and retry number 1

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:39 PM

Answers

• I have run it multiple times because it gives me that error at about 45% and never gets past
    Oh! Okay. That is not what you posted in your original message.
    I searched here and found a post saying to run 2,3,4 an5 first and then run 1 Unused updates and update revisions. That worked great and finished in no time. However when I go back to run number one again . . .

In that message you stated that all five steps had run successfully and then you were running Option #1 again and again and again . . . and that made no sense to me.

So, the fundamental issue here is that you're encountering this error on multiple machines while using Option #1. If you've not run the Server Cleanup Wizard in the past 30 days, then definitely running the other options before Option #1 is highly recommended; however, strictly speaking, the best order of performance is 2 - 4 - 5 - 3 and then 1. If you're just skipping Option #1 in the first pass that is also a viable solution.

SQL Timeouts while running Option #1 generally suggest a deeper issue with the database itself, and the fact that it is occuring across multiple WSUS servers certainly suggests a systemic issue. Can you please describe your complete WSUS deployment environment that comprises all of these several WSUS Servers that are encountering these SQL Timeout issues.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by pjamme Monday, June 28, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• The execution of the Server Cleanup Wizard and your inability to connect are likely unrelated issues, so for the moment, let's ignore the Server Cleanup Wizard and treat this as a simple "console cannot connect" issue.

First question: Why do you feel it necessary to run the Server Cleanup Wizard multiple times in succession? A second or subsequent run on the same day is likely to produce zero results.

Second question: Did you perform this check as suggested by the error message: Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server.

Third question: Are you attempting to connect from the local console or a remote console. If a remote console, can you connect from the local console; if a local console, can you connect from a remote console.

Friday, June 25, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Lawrence,

The server is in a different domain so am connecting with RDP.  The corporate policy has changed so the upstream server is now the corporate server and one person is responsible for approving all updates.  So we have been asked to cleanup all that domains WSUS servers.

I have run it multiple times because it gives me that error at about 45% and never gets past :  Unused updates and update revisions.  Some of my compatriots (we each have several wsus servers in that domain) are experiencing the same thing.  However it has been found that if we do 2,3,4,5 first if we arleady had an error doing them all a server reboot is required to finish number 1. But if we uncheck 1 and run it for 2,3,4,5 it then does 1 correctly.

2,3,4,&5 are clearing out 10 to 13GB each.

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:22 PM
  • I have run it multiple times because it gives me that error at about 45% and never gets past
    Oh! Okay. That is not what you posted in your original message.
    I searched here and found a post saying to run 2,3,4 an5 first and then run 1 Unused updates and update revisions. That worked great and finished in no time. However when I go back to run number one again . . .

In that message you stated that all five steps had run successfully and then you were running Option #1 again and again and again . . . and that made no sense to me.

So, the fundamental issue here is that you're encountering this error on multiple machines while using Option #1. If you've not run the Server Cleanup Wizard in the past 30 days, then definitely running the other options before Option #1 is highly recommended; however, strictly speaking, the best order of performance is 2 - 4 - 5 - 3 and then 1. If you're just skipping Option #1 in the first pass that is also a viable solution.

SQL Timeouts while running Option #1 generally suggest a deeper issue with the database itself, and the fact that it is occuring across multiple WSUS servers certainly suggests a systemic issue. Can you please describe your complete WSUS deployment environment that comprises all of these several WSUS Servers that are encountering these SQL Timeout issues.

• Marked as answer by pjamme Monday, June 28, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Lawrence,

what I meant was I had run all componts numerous times and kept getting an error on #1.  Then I saw the post to do 2,3,4,5 first and then #1.  Is still got an error on number 1 so rebooted the server and #1 finishes satisfactorily.

I believe the problem was duwe to pointing to an upstreams server prior to repointing it that is no longer available.  That was the main reason to repoint to a single corporate WSUS upstream that one person is responsible for accepting updates.

thanks for your help

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:56 PM