Microsoft ODBC for Oracle / Microsoft Server 2008 r2

Question

• We are testing the operational system Windows Server 2008 r2 in one of our clients. This system does not accept the installation of the tool Microsoft ODBC for Oracle. We’d like to know how to install this Driver, once Microsoft’s webpage does not mention any help related to this issue (there is instruction only for the installation of MDAC). We’ve consulted discussion forums and all types of ocurrence on the Internet, but we started to think it’s a Bug of the version. Can you inform us what’s the solution for the problem?

We are looking forward to your answer.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi, Wilson !

I'd like to thank you for the hints.
    I found the solution by searching information in the forums you indicated.

This is the solution:

The 32bit Oracle driver is used more often even on a 64bit Windows OS. This is because all 32bit applications are using the 32bit ODBC. If you are trying to use the 32bit client in order to use MS Access and such, you need a work around.

Yes there is the problem when oracle parses the brackets and the workaround is not to install the Oracle client to another directory without (x86). You can install as usual but it seems that the inventory is forced to be installed in "Program Files (x86)". This is the part where things break. So after the installation, search for "Oracle\Inventory" in the registry and change it to another location without brackets and move the directory over. This resolves one problem.

Second problems is that ODBC management in "Administrator Tools" doesn't include the management of the 32bit ODBC connections. this is located in the SysWow64 folder with the same exe name. Make a shortcut of this to make it easier.

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hi Mirela,

Windows Server 2008 R2 is the first operating system which is 64-bit only. As far as I know, Microsoft does not publish a 64 bit version of the Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle yet. You may need to contact Oracle to see whether they have 64-bits ODBC for Oracle.

For your reference, I have included several related forum posts below:

Does Oracle have a 64-bit ODBC Driver

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=246107

Missing ODBC drivers

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/560b5769-82d7-4b1f-8b4a-cac8198a951c

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, September 04, 2009 9:33 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Mirela,

Windows Server 2008 R2 is the first operating system which is 64-bit only. As far as I know, Microsoft does not publish a 64 bit version of the Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle yet. You may need to contact Oracle to see whether they have 64-bits ODBC for Oracle.

For your reference, I have included several related forum posts below:

Does Oracle have a 64-bit ODBC Driver

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=246107

Missing ODBC drivers

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/560b5769-82d7-4b1f-8b4a-cac8198a951c

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, September 04, 2009 9:33 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Hi, Wilson !

I'd like to thank you for the hints.
    I found the solution by searching information in the forums you indicated.

This is the solution:

The 32bit Oracle driver is used more often even on a 64bit Windows OS. This is because all 32bit applications are using the 32bit ODBC. If you are trying to use the 32bit client in order to use MS Access and such, you need a work around.

Yes there is the problem when oracle parses the brackets and the workaround is not to install the Oracle client to another directory without (x86). You can install as usual but it seems that the inventory is forced to be installed in "Program Files (x86)". This is the part where things break. So after the installation, search for "Oracle\Inventory" in the registry and change it to another location without brackets and move the directory over. This resolves one problem.

Second problems is that ODBC management in "Administrator Tools" doesn't include the management of the 32bit ODBC connections. this is located in the SysWow64 folder with the same exe name. Make a shortcut of this to make it easier.

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hi Mirela,

Thanks you for sharing the information here.

Wilson.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks to you for this info it just saved me with a Customer with Oracle 8.1.7 client on 64bit 2008. Spread the kudos.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:00 AM
  • I got it working with a clean install on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit with the 64-bit client: 

extract 11107_w2k8_x64_production_client.zip, right-click on setup and select “Run as Administrator”

During the Oracle install – it will fail operating system checks (only goes to ver 6.0 – R2 is 6.1) so manually check the top 2 boxes and click next.

After the install, search c:\ for “Oracle\Inventory” – if it is in "C:\Program Files (x86)" move it to "C:\Program Files" and then go to the registry editor.  Search for "Oracle\Inventory". Chang the inst_loc value from C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle\Inventory to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory.  Then reboot the server for good measures.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:31 PM
  • We just installed 10204_vista_w2k8_x64_production_client on a clean w2k r2 64bit.

For us, we always had to use the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver, since we needed to connect to more than 1 version away of Oracle databases.  (for example: with the Oracle v10, then it will connect to only v9, v10, and v11 databases.  In our case, we have v8 on ticket vending machines)

The install does put the oracle\inventory in the c:\Program Files, so, it does appear that the install works.(we still had to use the parameter:  -ignoreSysPrereqs to have the installer ignore the os version)

However, we still do not see a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver.

Monday, April 05, 2010 6:41 PM