none
What is the difference with MDT and WDS for image installation?

Question

• I can both import operating system in MDT and WDS, and I know that WDS provides the PXE boot service. If I just import image in WDS and configure nothing in MDT, can client automatically boot? Or if I just configure my boot option in MDT and just using the service without any image imported, I know it works well in this situation. So what is the difference between these two?

• Changed type Karen Woo Monday, May 28, 2012 2:03 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 1:31 AM

Answers

• MDT is creating his boot images when you update the deployment share. From here you can either burn the images to a CD or import them in WDS so client boot from network. If you want your clients to use OS images from MDT you need to use MDT boot images. If you want your clients to use OS images from WDS you need to import a boot image in WDS from the Win 7 or 2008 DVD. I recommend you always use MDT for deployment and keep the WDS server just so clients can boot from the network.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

• Marked as answer by Karen Woo Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:52 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 11:39 AM

All replies

• MDT is creating his boot images when you update the deployment share. From here you can either burn the images to a CD or import them in WDS so client boot from network. If you want your clients to use OS images from MDT you need to use MDT boot images. If you want your clients to use OS images from WDS you need to import a boot image in WDS from the Win 7 or 2008 DVD. I recommend you always use MDT for deployment and keep the WDS server just so clients can boot from the network.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

• Marked as answer by Karen Woo Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:52 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

There are some resources for you to have a better understanding of WDS and MDT.

Title: Windows Deployment Service (WDS) vs Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 (MDT): Choose The Right Tool
    URL: http://techdays.ca/contentlibrary/powerpoint/en/2011-windows-deployment-service-(wds)-vs-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2012-(mdt)-choose-the-right-tool.aspx

The PowerPoint above has a general description of the WDS and MDT. And it will let you know the differences between the WDS and MDT.

Title: Deploying Windows 7 with Windows Deployment Services
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/deploying-windows-7-with-windows-deployment-services.aspx

The resource above is a video; you could learn the detailed procedures about deploying Windows 7 with WDS. Also you will gain an understanding of the differences between using WDS and the MDT, and find out where to access resources for step-by-step deployment using MDT.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:17 AM