none
the group policy client service failed the logon

Question

• Hi,

I am facing issue in one domain local account. when i am trying to login its giving error message "the group policy client service failed the logon.Access Denied"

Kindly Advice

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:06 AM

Answers

• I would recommend this way:

1. Logon to the machine with a machine administrator account (assuming this issue is with a domain account, if not logon to the machine using another account with administrative privilege).
    2. Move the machine to a workgroup from domain. (If it was part of one workgroup then change it to another one or join a domain.) You could do this through Control Panel\System and Security\System and then Change Settings.
    3. Restart the machine and logon with a machine administrator account.
    4. Delete your user profile data (or move it a different location) completely from c:\users. "C" in my case is system directory but if you have a different one then use that one.
    5. Join the machine back to domain account (or to workgroup that the machine was originally joined to), and restart the machine.
    6. Logon with your domain account that you were having trouble with. Keep fingers crossed.
    7. If all goes well, you should be logged on.

Case select you will be logged on with a temporary user profile:

1. Login with Administrator account on the local machine.
    2. Open Regedit.
    3. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    4. There should be a multitude of Registry keys inside the ProfileList and search for two identical ones which are differentiated by the .bak extension (e.g. xxxxxx1234.bak & xxxxxx1234).
    5. The Registry key with the .bak extension contains the user's actual profile while the one without the .bak contains the Temp profile.
    6. Delete the Registry Key WITHOUT the .bak extension and rename the one with it to xxxxx1234 (without the .bak). Notice the fields on the right, there should be a value named RefCount, change the value to 0.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the current issue, please refer to the following article. It may be useful to us.

How to fix "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access denied." error?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/moiqubal/archive/2012/03/04/how-to-fix-quot-the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-denied-quot-error.aspx

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The user profile service: Service failed the log on. User profile cannot be loaded

• The problem seems like default profile.. This is what we did.

1, Copy C:\users\default folder(Hiden) on the workstation which has no problem to somewhere (i.e. desktop) and rename it to default2.

2, Copy default2 folder to C:\users\ on the workstation which has a problem.

3, go to registory (regedit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\Default and change the pass to %SystemDrive%\User\Default2.

4, Reboot the workstation. Then it works fine.

If not then try this:

1. Add user to local Administrators group

2. Log in as user

3. Log off user

4. Log back in as network/local administrator

5. Remove user from Administrators group

6. Log back in as user

7. Success!

Regards,

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and do "VOTE".

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:32 AM
  • I would recommend this way:

1. Logon to the machine with a machine administrator account (assuming this issue is with a domain account, if not logon to the machine using another account with administrative privilege).
    2. Move the machine to a workgroup from domain. (If it was part of one workgroup then change it to another one or join a domain.) You could do this through Control Panel\System and Security\System and then Change Settings.
    3. Restart the machine and logon with a machine administrator account.
    4. Delete your user profile data (or move it a different location) completely from c:\users. "C" in my case is system directory but if you have a different one then use that one.
    5. Join the machine back to domain account (or to workgroup that the machine was originally joined to), and restart the machine.
    6. Logon with your domain account that you were having trouble with. Keep fingers crossed.
    7. If all goes well, you should be logged on.

Case select you will be logged on with a temporary user profile:

1. Login with Administrator account on the local machine.
    2. Open Regedit.
    3. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    4. There should be a multitude of Registry keys inside the ProfileList and search for two identical ones which are differentiated by the .bak extension (e.g. xxxxxx1234.bak & xxxxxx1234).
    5. The Registry key with the .bak extension contains the user's actual profile while the one without the .bak contains the Temp profile.
    6. Delete the Registry Key WITHOUT the .bak extension and rename the one with it to xxxxx1234 (without the .bak). Notice the fields on the right, there should be a value named RefCount, change the value to 0.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the current issue, please refer to the following article. It may be useful to us.

How to fix "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access denied." error?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/moiqubal/archive/2012/03/04/how-to-fix-quot-the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-denied-quot-error.aspx

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:47 AM
  • I just had the same error on a machine in a "workgroup" not a member of a domain. The Youtube link below resolved the issue. Basically Windows Update failed at some point and deleted a few group policy settings in the registry. Pretty easy to follow along with and pause the video when needed.

youtube.com/watch?v=4m5KEmckWK4 (my account hasn't been verified so I can't post the hyperlink)

Friday, July 19, 2013 10:40 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue, but this solution did not work for me. When I check the ImagePath, it says:

"%systemroot%\system32\svchost­­.exe -k netsvcs" instead of "....svchost­­.exe -k GPSvc" 

Who can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue, but this solution did not work for me. When I check the ImagePath, it says:

"%systemroot%\system32\svchost­­.exe -k netsvcs" instead of "....svchost­­.exe -k GPSvc" 

Who can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:02 PM