none
Windows Server 2012 Trial Key - Did I miss it?

Question

• Hi,

I downloaded what I thought was the trial for Windows Server 2012.  It is asking for the key.  The only e-mail that I rec'd from MS does not include a key.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EZ

Friday, January 04, 2013 1:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I downloaded the Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions from Windows Server 2012 Try It. And the file name is 9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO, size is 3.44GB.

When we install Windows Server 2012 using this image, it will not require a Product Key. However, we should note that it is an evaluation version, after the 180-day evaluation period elapses, the server warns you in various ways depending on the edition you installed.

For more details, please refer to Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

By the way, the content of EI.CFG in Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions installation image is

[Channel]

eval

[VL]

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 04, 2013 2:55 AM
  • You should NOT need to add those files to the evaluation copy.  If you downloaded the trial ISO from Microsoft, and it is asking for a key, you most likely have a bad copy operation or burning it to DVD.  Download it again and it should work fine.

tim

Friday, January 04, 2013 3:21 PM

All replies

• When and from where did you download the iso?

The trail version should not ask for a key, but i know there have been problems sometimes with the trail iso from Microsoft. 

Friday, January 04, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Shouldn't but burned another copy today and same deal as the one I downloaded, and never installed, a few months back.

This link talks about modifying the files and added them back in the ISO, which I did, and I'm in the process of burning the ISO now to try yet again.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx

Thanks for the reply.

Friday, January 04, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

I downloaded the Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions from Windows Server 2012 Try It. And the file name is 9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO, size is 3.44GB.

When we install Windows Server 2012 using this image, it will not require a Product Key. However, we should note that it is an evaluation version, after the 180-day evaluation period elapses, the server warns you in various ways depending on the edition you installed.

For more details, please refer to Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

By the way, the content of EI.CFG in Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions installation image is

[Channel]

eval

[VL]

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 04, 2013 2:55 AM
  • You should NOT need to add those files to the evaluation copy.  If you downloaded the trial ISO from Microsoft, and it is asking for a key, you most likely have a bad copy operation or burning it to DVD.  Download it again and it should work fine.

tim

Friday, January 04, 2013 3:21 PM