none
Error - All disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid.

Question

• I have looked up the error and found it to be this error code but I cannot find a solution for it. 

0x80042530 is the Error Code.

I have a server using Mirrored drives and I am trying to add newer larger hard drives to the system and after swapping out one of the drives and adding the new hard drive I am getting this error message; "All disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid."

are the new drives (2TB) just to large for the OS to handle or is there something that I can do to be able to use these large hards I have purchased to upgrade the storage of this server.

Thanks

Ray

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:47 AM

Answers

• There may be alignment issues plus disk controller compatability. I'd ask the disk controller manufacturer about this and specifically the disks in use.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:46 AM

All replies

• Might be you're mixing advanced format with older technology.

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/features/?id=7&language=1

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:04 AM
  • newer server as it is last years model, and I am running Server 2008 R2 Foundation. 

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:55 AM
  • You'll probably need to look at the disks to determine.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:22 AM
  • I've got the same issue on a Windows 7. I must note that raid-managing is the same as on WS2008R2, except for the fact that on the first you can create RAID-5 - that doesn't matter here -.

I'm trying to create a RAID 1 between an advanced format disk (4kb physical block size - though 512 bytes on logical) and a non-advanced format one (512 physical block size).

I know that W7 is AF (advanced format, from now) aware, as well as Vista, but they still act as if those disks were using 512 bytes on physical blocks, except when creating a partition, - correct me if i'm wrong -, so what's the problem?

Plus, if that was the problem, how i'm supposed to fix it? You can't change physical blocks, if you are unable to create a partition between AF and non-AF windows should give a more specific error (or at least notify you that it can't be done on it, so that you look for an alternate software).
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:11 PM
  • There may be alignment issues plus disk controller compatability. I'd ask the disk controller manufacturer about this and specifically the disks in use.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:46 AM
  • It seems windows is unable to create virtual raid's with disk using different alignment (say advanced format with non advanced, 4k alignment with 512 alignment).

It's strange because windows may use them apparently as 512-sector but newer versions of windows (say W7 SP1 and 2K8R2 SP1) are 4k alignment aware. The only solution is to search for another raid provider (say, motherboard or, better, hardware-based raid) or wait for the next service pack and hope this will be solved.

Friday, August 05, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

is this still unresolved? I have 2 HDDs with 2 TB each and I get the same error when I try to create a mirror. The second disc is completly empty.

Will there be a fix, or is there something I can do?

I would rather not use another RAID solution.

OS is Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1

Friday, March 02, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Update: I had to buy another HDD

Using two disks, both Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003-9VT166, I could not create the mirror. Then I used one Seagate and one WD Caviar Green WD20EARX disk and it worked!

Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:30 AM
  • OK, After days of frustration and reading pointless options (sorry, no offense but I am frustrated and elated at the same time) I think I have found the solution, or rather a cure to the problem.

To start, this issue is a big bug. MS obviously does not read this or other fora, otherwise they would have done something about it.

My situation was as follows:
    I had two used 1TB disks. One WD and one ST.
    When I installed W2008R2 I mirrored these as non-system disk (D:) and it worked fine. (which counters all the arguments on the fora that state you need two identical drives, but that aside)

All was well until my system (C:) disk died.
    So I bought a new disk for C: and re-installed W2008R2. Then I wanted to repair the mirror for D:.
    Did not work. Not with C: restores from backups, nothing.
    My data was still there on the individual disks, so I deleted one of the volumes with the intention to create a 'new' mirror with the these disks. To my surprise and eventually my exasperation I could not get the two to mirror again! The message:
    "All disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid."

I spent 3 days(!!!) to figure out why I could not mirror drives that were previously mirrored.

As I said, it is a bug in MS Windows Server 2008 R2.

After many trails and errors (with a plethora of 3rd party disk products), and first copying the data to a safe place, I tried the other RAID options of Windows. 
    So I tried Spanned Volume. Lo and behold, that worked! The WD and ST disk were allowed into one Spanned Volume. Than I deleted this volume again and tried a mirror on the two disks empty disks and .....IT WORKED!! I now have a functioning mirror again on the two disks.

I hope this is useful to all and that MS pays attention......
    • Proposed as answer by yushir Friday, April 06, 2012 6:59 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:31 PM
  • I agree with you, I tried doing so on Linux and got no problem, it's a Windows issue and i hope they'll fix it (but i fear they won't).

I'll give a new try using your method.

Friday, April 06, 2012 7:01 PM

> As I said, it is a bug in MS Windows Server 2008 R2.

Agreed.

> So I tried Spanned Volume. Lo and behold, that worked! The WD and ST disk were allowed into one Spanned Volume. Than I deleted this volume again and tried a mirror on the two disks empty disks and .....IT WORKED!! I now have a functioning mirror again on the two disks.

I'm not sure if it was creating a 'Spanned / Extended...' volume or if it was aligning the existing partition that was 'in front' of the Mirrored partition, but the combination of the two worked for me.

I was shrinking an existing partition to get enough space to create a new dynamic volume.  I'm using Windows Server 2012, but I think it is the same in Windows Server 2008 R2.  I kept getting the 'sector size' error, even though it had nothing to do with sector size, as far as I can tell.  

Steps I tried
    didn't work: reformatting, then deleting the volume
    didn't work: creating an extended volume across the two disks
    WORKED: adjusting the size of the existing volume 'in front' of my new volume, so the new volume will be aligned on 1024 MB boundary (after the extended volume)

I don't know if it was just the alignment, or the combination.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/09/26/alignment-changes-in-windows-2008-and-2008-r2.aspx

• Edited by yzorg Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by suastiastu Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Seems to be at least half the answer anyway!

I was able to create a mirrored volume across two disks when starting with unallocated space on both, but when trying to mirror space already allocated on one drive across both the same drives I get the nasty error message which has so frustrated you (and me).

So what have we learned today? It simply can't be that two drives which give the error message can't be mirrored because of some sector gobbldeegook, it just can't. Its a bug.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:07 AM