none
"Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected" in windows server 2012

Question

• some unexpected old friend made a appearance when I tried to setup windows backup (1st time)

I use the wizard and I choose to manually select files/folders to backup.
    I choose a virtual disk to store the backup. This virtual disk is logically 50 TB large (50TB was set in the volume size with thin provisioning). The actual physical disks are only three 4TB disks in parity layout
    the wizard went fine until some time after I press the "create" button. 
    during the formatting phase, i get this error message:
    Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected
    After I close the popup the status from the wizard says "the backup schedule was not created"

Doesn't windows 2012 support volume larger than 2 TB?
    if no, why does the windows 2008 trick (manually selecting files/folders to overcome the 2TB limitation) doesn't work in my case?

I only installed the windows server backup feature. I didn't configure anything, just started the wizard right after the feature was installed.

Thanks

Matt

Friday, December 21, 2012 12:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

The 2TB(2040GB - 2MB = 2088958 MB to be precise) is not supported in case of full volume backup. This is because of the limitation to the size of the dynamic VHD file.

When creating backup schedule, choose Custom instead of Full Server could help you select files/folders manually.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

The 2TB(2040GB - 2MB = 2088958 MB to be precise) is not supported in case of full volume backup. This is because of the limitation to the size of the dynamic VHD file.

When creating backup schedule, choose Custom instead of Full Server could help you select files/folders manually.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:26 AM
  • SBS 2008 does not support backups larger than 2TB (Found this out the hard way)

You may be better off buying a third party application like Macrium Reflect.

We have server 2012 Foundation and that backs up More than 2TB.

It is something to do with the cluster sizes on the drives - Read here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009?wa=wsignin1.0

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:37 PM