none
I Forgot Windows 8 Administrator Password on My Laptop - How to Reset?

Question

• Hello, guys!

My son has changed the Windows 8 administrator password on my dell laptop and he cannot remember the password now. I don't  have a password reset disk that i was stupid. Could you give me a easy way to reset a forgotten Windows 8 password?

There are many photos of my family in the laptop, i don't want to lose them. So please give me an available method to reset Windows 8 administrator password without data loss.

Thank you very much!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

Microsoft has added password protection capability to many features in Windows to help prevent unauthorized access to important information. If you are unable to access information because you do not know the correct password, please realize that:

Microsoft support professionals cannot assist you, under any circumstances, in the breaking of passwords applied to files and features in Microsoft programs.

I can only provide you this information: 

What to do if you forget your Windows password
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/forgot-windows-password

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:46 AM

All replies

• I'd probably ask them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system?tab=QnA&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&tm=1378860500229

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:48 AM
  • Hi, 

Microsoft has added password protection capability to many features in Windows to help prevent unauthorized access to important information. If you are unable to access information because you do not know the correct password, please realize that:

Microsoft support professionals cannot assist you, under any circumstances, in the breaking of passwords applied to files and features in Microsoft programs.

I can only provide you this information: 

What to do if you forget your Windows password
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/forgot-windows-password

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:46 AM
  • As far as I know, f8 does not work in windows 8.  Another thing - others have suggested booting into the ASO menu, Advanced options and choosing Command Prompt in order to use the 'net user' command to reset the password.  Unfortunately, the Command Prompt asks for a password! before allowing you into the prompts...

What am I missing?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Please meke sure which account you login with, if you login with Micosoft account, you can change your password online, if you login with administrator account, you need to reinstall Windows or use a third-part tools to reset password, maybe you can have a try with Windows password Recovery Tool which is easy and efficient. you can search on Google.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Hi

I'am cleaning this thread, 3 spams erased. (helped by Kevin_Yan too, he clicked faster than me !)

Thanks everyone

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:52 AM
  • Restart the PC. Hold down F8  once you’ve enter the Windows® Boot Menu, select Safe Mode with Networking and once you enter the safe mode, select (default) Administrator to login with (The password may be blank), once you succeed to enter Windows® using that account, open Control Panel and open User Accounts and Family Safety and open User Accounts and then select Manage another account and then select your original PC account and click Remove Password. Once that is done, restart the PC. 

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:38 AM
  • I'm having this same problem - a company computer was set up wrong, and now that the employee has left, we have no way to access this computer.  I just want to reinforce that F8 does NOTHING with many Windows 8 computers, including the one I'm trying to access.

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Without a recovery disk, do you have another account that can log in that computer ? (computer in a domain?)

Usually their is the standard admin account, and the user account used on the computer.

In last method, read the HDD from another computer to make a backup, and re-install it in the correct computer, and re-install Windows on it. If a OEM's machine you will have a recovery media's kit.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Hello, I have lost password, too, and I get answer at here: <iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3Obsv7x3Ydw" width="560"></iframe>
    • Edited by Breat Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:51 AM