none
Mapping a network printer on win 7 clients

Question

• Hi,
    We've had a login script that could map network printers on XP clients. The server is a win 2003. The code used is the following :

objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection pstrPrinterPathUnc
    Now that we have our first win 7 client, the mapping fails. When I manually launch the vbs file I get a popup saying : "Windows needs to download and install a software driver from the \\xxx computer to print to yyy. Proceed only if you trust the \\xxx computer and the network".
    Of course I could manually click on "install driver" but I'd rather know how I could change this restriction policy from my login script.

thanks
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just so you know, I tried to deactivate the User Access Control feature, and it didn't solved the problem.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.

This issue may occur if the inappropriate settings are set on Windows 7.

Please disable the following two policy settings on Windows 7 for test.

(User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Control Panel/Printers > Point and Print Restrictions)

(Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Printers > Point and Print Restrictions)

For more information, please take a look at the following article:

Group Policy Settings References for Windows and Windows Server
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=18c90c80-8b0a-4906-a4f5-ff24cc2030fb&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:20 AM
  • I'm not familiar with 7 yet... Where can I disable the 2 settings you indicated me?

If you were talking about AD policies, then the one in User configuration was already disabled. And the one concerning the Computer configuration is missing.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Windows 7 only reads the Computer policy.  Download the Admin tools for Windows 7.  Group Policy Management will allow you to edit the domain policy.
    • Marked as answer by Miles ZhangModerator Friday, November 20, 2009 10:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by benkunz Monday, November 23, 2009 8:09 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:55 AM
    Answerer
  • the Admin tools for Windows 7 you're talking about? is this an AD component or a program to install directly on the win 7 machine? I just can't find any program/package with this name on the microsoft website...
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:10 AM
  • the group policy management tools

Windows 7 only reads the Computer policy.   Group Policy Management will allow you to edit the domain policy.

• Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 Beta (x86): http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/D/4/AD4D3903-E06D-456D-AED4-D53895D2C1A9/Windows6.1-KB958830-x86.msu

• Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 Beta (x64): http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/D/4/AD4D3903-E06D-456D-AED4-D53895D2C1A9/Windows6.1-KB958830-x64.msu

The main download page is here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=82516c35-c7dc-4652-b2ea-2df99ea83dbb&displaylang=en

RSAT Client is available to all customers as part of the supplemental Microsoft Software License Terms to Windows 7 licenses.

What Is Included in RSAT?
    This is the list of Windows Server 2008 administration tools which are included in Win7 RSAT Client:

Server Administration Tools:
    • Server Manager

Role Administration Tools:
    • Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) Tools
    • Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Tools
    • Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) Tools
    • DHCP Server Tools
    • DNS Server Tools
    • File Services Tools
    • Hyper-V Tools
    • Terminal Services Tools

Feature Administration Tools:
    • BitLocker Password Recovery Viewer
    • Failover Clustering Tools
    • Group Policy Management Tools
    • Network Load Balancing Tools
    • SMTP Server Tools
    • Storage Explorer Tools
    • Storage Manager for SANs Tools
    • Windows System Resource Manager Tools

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:58 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm totaly lost here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 Beta is meant to manage a windows server from a windows 7 client, right?

But what I want to do is the opposite. I already have a win 2003 server, and I want to manage the win 7 client.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:18 PM
  • From your earlier response you stated
    ---
    I'm not familiar with 7 yet... Where can I disable the 2 settings you indicated me?

If you were talking about AD policies, then the one in User configuration was already disabled. And the one concerning the Computer configuration is missing.

---
    You need to update the Computer Setting and change the Point and Print restrictions.  I was under the impression you were attempting this at a domain level and did not see the setting.  Just set the policy on the local Windows 7 machine using gpedit.msc.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Alan, I figured out how to add a printer with my login script on a win 7 client machine. Using gpedit.msc, I had to change the Computer config > Admin templates > Printers > Point and Print Restrictions settings from not configured to disabled.

Now the problem I have is that I know what I need to change to allow the mapping on windows 7 clients, but on my 2003 AD, there is no "Point and Print restrictions" setting in the computer configuration, it's only in the user configuration, but it is already set there and it's not enough for win 7 clients... Am I stuck here or is there a way to add the missing setting into our 2003 AD?

Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Yes this is why you need the Remote Server Admin Tools.  The setting never existed under Computer until Windows 7 so you need updated tools in order to get the UI piece that will display the setting.  I'm sure there are some other tools that can update the setting directly but I need a UI for this kind of stuff.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:35 AM
    Answerer
  • I have been having loads of problem with network printing since the introducing some Win 7 PCs to our site. Mostly network printers not getting automatically installed and hanging of spool service on local machine and sometimes on the print server insteady windows 2003 32 bit server. I have now set the point and print restrictions to disabled and using the RSAT added this setting to GPO on my domain controller a 2008 64bit standard server. This does seem to have solved the issue.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:24 PM
  • SCENARIO: Print Server Windows Server 2003 R2, station Windows 7 with 64-bit and HP LaserJet P4015n

PROBLEM: Windows 7 64-bit stations can not add HP LaserJet P4015n from print server Windows Server 2003 R2 showing the error 0x000007e

SOLUTION: In the print server, delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\[PrinterName]\CopyFiles\BIDI"

CAUSE: The station of user was trying to access a path that the 64-bit operating systems do not recognize as valid: "spool\drivers\w32x86\3". This path is set in the printer settings on the Print Server.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:44 AM